The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get a Moose gun.
Looking at 308 or a 300 WSM for Moose any input?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Either would get the job done but my concern would be what is the best .30 cal bullet for the job. Something in the 200 to 225 grain range packing a bunch of energy

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
45-70 would work.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You must use a magnum now to kill a moose. The rifles that were used a hundred years ago are longer capable of taking down a moose. The reason is over the years the moose hide has become tougher and standard calibers will not penetrate the now much thicker hide

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
While hunting moose in Quebec a few years ago the guide said most guys there use a .270. Of the two you listed would go with the WSM and probably 180 gr Barnes. I carried my .300 Win but got no shots. I had it loaded with 180 Hornady spire points.

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
jim2914 said:
Need to get a Moose gun.
Looking at 308 or a 300 WSM for Moose any input?
Whichever of those two rifles you are more comfortable and confident in shooting is the one I would take. Use heavy for caliber bullets. I have shot 6 moose with cartridges ranging from the .270 to the .338WinMag. Either of those will be fine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ive killed two moose. One with a 35 whelen and one with a 270 win. Never dropped one, they just stand there after shooting and walk away. Both went about 100 yds. One was hit at 265 yds and I found him very much alive, he stood; turned to charge as he ducked his head but decided to turn again and run. I hipped him at 10 yds with the 35 Whelen and he fell. The one shot with 270 was found dead, shot through lungs

·
Registered
814 Posts
Oh, so anyway............really any caliber will work for a moose. Although huge, they seem to lay down and die fairly easy. At least in my experience. Killed both in BC

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
skwirl said:
You must use a magnum now to kill a moose. The rifles that were used a hundred years ago are longer capable of taking down a moose. The reason is over the years the moose hide has become tougher and standard calibers will not penetrate the now much thicker hide
Maybe not a "Must", but cant hurt if someone chose to do so.

Good luck, Tony

1 - 20 of 45 Posts