The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,502 Posts
moosehunter said:
It would just feel cool to have a gun that is just my "moose gun". What should I be looking to get?
I think your ideal cartridge would be the 270 Winchester stoked with a 150 gr. Nosler partition and IMR-4350 powder...Not a moose in the world that is gonna be standing long after getting socked in the boiler with one of these...Light on recoil, big on power and accuracy.

· Registered
2,502 Posts
You guys are all caught up in the magnum marketing craze and have yourselves convinced that if you shoot a moose with any lesser cartridge, that it's just going to walk away for miles until it keels over..A 270 with a 150 gr. partition would be a very formidable combination to whack a moose with... And for black bear??...No question, it puts them right down (talking from personal experience)

Mike, nothing wrong with that New Hampshire moose hunter that a little target practice couldn't fix!

· Registered
2,502 Posts
moosehunter said:
I'm actually surprised you mentioned the 270 for moose. Being that you're the biggest .35 caliber fan I know of. What gives Ken? Are you saving all the .358, .35 Whelen, and .350 Rem. mag recommendations for another thread or sumthin'?
Just trying to make conversation..If Obama came to take my guns and only let me keep one, it would be the 270.

· Registered
2,502 Posts
I used to have an 8MM magnum in a 700 BDL, and it is one of the most awesome cartridges ever made...Ruined it taking it out in the rain.The stock developed a split.I used to load 150 gr. Sierras in it, and just for the neighborhood kids, I would take frozen jugs of water and set them out on top of a stripping bank maybe 300 yards away. When I would touch it off, those jugs would fly 50 feet up and just a flat piece of plastic would float to the ground....The kids got a real kick out of that.

· Registered
2,502 Posts
moosehunter said:
Good choice. But once you find the gun how do you find the ammo?
Do a search on Google (You do have a computer I assume).It took me .5 seconds to find some .

I just wrote about this yesterday, where a person will avoid buying a rifle chambered in an obsolete round, simply because he's afraid that when he gets to some secluded outpost, he won't be able to buy shells for it....Well buy the ammo before you go....Put some in your luggage..Send some ahead of time to the outfitter, etc..It's not hard to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.