The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving some thought to getting a gun just to have around when I pull a moose tag again. My .30-06 works admirably but I feel I'd like a little more in case I can ever do my dream Alaskan Moose hunt. I still need something with some range because Moose love to be around lakes and clearcuts and that can make for long shot possibilities so no .45-70's for this. It would just feel cool to have a gun that is just my "moose gun". What should I be looking to get? A .338 WM? A .35 Whelen? Something else perhaps?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
How about a Win. Model 70 Classic in .375H&H. Controlled Round Feed, Black Matte Finish in a Black Synthetic Stock. Leupold 1.75x6 Vari X III scope in Leupold Quick Detachable Mounts.

$1200 if your interested.

There might be 50 rounds fired out of it and I would include RCBS Dies, Loaded ammo(various handloads) and Virgin Brass

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
I have shot moose with the .270, .30-06, 7 mm Rem mag, .300 Win Mag and .338 Win Mag. The only one that dropped to the shot was with the .338. For range and up close power that would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Moosehunter you know what i'ed use and thats why i have it moose and elk past the close range. Any of the 30 cals. in mag. rum,win,weatherby in a ss and composet stock for the rough alaska weather. Good bolt action better scope it's a life time hunt go with the best you can if you can't score it won't be because of gun and scope it'll be your work. Most of the .348,340,30-378,338,375hh,338rum will do the job your lookin for from 180gr. and up. I know you don't mind re-coil and you already know huntin don't feel any pain. I'ed be happy to see you drop your 1100 pound moose with a 700 rem. or your bull elk on the side hill a couple yds. out (200). Start the truck lets go....later

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
moosehunter said:
It would just feel cool to have a gun that is just my "moose gun". What should I be looking to get?
I think your ideal cartridge would be the 270 Winchester stoked with a 150 gr. Nosler partition and IMR-4350 powder...Not a moose in the world that is gonna be standing long after getting socked in the boiler with one of these...Light on recoil, big on power and accuracy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've been huntin 30 yrs. with my 270 and the past 15yrs. with 150 semi round nose cor-loket best good ol gun in the world BUT if i'm goin to spend lots of money to moose hunt in alaska my 300 rum will lead the way. can't take a knife to a gun fight IMO...later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Ken said:
moosehunter said:
It would just feel cool to have a gun that is just my "moose gun". What should I be looking to get?
I think your ideal cartridge would be the 270 Winchester stoked with a 150 gr. Nosler partition and IMR-4350 powder...Not a moose in the world that is gonna be standing long after getting socked in the boiler with one of these...Light on recoil, big on power and accuracy.

Sorry Ken but I couldn't be paid to carry a .270 for Moose. I had a Moose hunter in New Hampshire tell me one time "do not use a .270 on moose, they just stand there and stare at you while you are shooting them". I believe him to. I think the .270 is an outstanding deer and antelope gun but it's never intrigued me for anything bigger. I had a .270 pump for years and always refused to carry it for black bear so there ain't no way I'm Moose hunting with one. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not convinced that I need to lug a .375 H&H around either. I'm not exactly hunting Cape Buff.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
b&ghuntre said:
I've been huntin 30 yrs. with my 270 and the past 15yrs. with 150 semi round nose cor-loket best good ol gun in the world BUT if i'm goin to spend lots of money to moose hunt in alaska my 300 rum will lead the way. can't take a knife to a gun fight IMO...later

That's what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
You guys are all caught up in the magnum marketing craze and have yourselves convinced that if you shoot a moose with any lesser cartridge, that it's just going to walk away for miles until it keels over..A 270 with a 150 gr. partition would be a very formidable combination to whack a moose with... And for black bear??...No question, it puts them right down (talking from personal experience)

Mike, nothing wrong with that New Hampshire moose hunter that a little target practice couldn't fix!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I shot a nice Alaskan bull at 220 yards offhand standing in permafrost. One shot and it dropped, stone dead. My cartridge the 416 Remingto Mag. Really a great round, for moose on up.

I like the 338 win mag also, but the longer range favors the 416 and a 350 grain bullet. You could not go wrong with either one. I watched my bro drop a nice 58 inch bull at 90 yards with the 340 Polar. But when he hit it it just stood there, he shot it again and it fell thrash around.

If you reload the larger cartridges are very versitile. I've killed deer and ground hogs with the 416.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Ken said:
You guys are all caught up in the magnum marketing craze and have yourselves convinced that if you shoot a moose with any lesser cartridge, that it's just going to walk away for miles until it keels over..A 270 with a 150 gr. partition would be a very formidable combination to whack a moose with... And for black bear??...No question, it puts them right down (talking from personal experience)

Mike, nothing wrong with that New Hampshire moose hunter that a little target practice couldn't fix!

I already Moose hunt with a .30-06. Getting a .270 for a Moose rifle would be heading in the wrong direction.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harrysigafoo said:
I shot a nice Alaskan bull at 220 yards offhand standing in permafrost. One shot and it dropped, stone dead. My cartridge the 416 Remingto Mag. Really a great round, for moose on up.

I like the 338 win mag also, but the longer range favors the 416 and a 350 grain bullet. You could not go wrong with either one. I watched my bro drop a nice 58 inch bull at 90 yards with the 340 Polar. But when he hit it it just stood there, he shot it again and it fell thrash around.

If you reload the larger cartridges are very versitile. I've killed deer and ground hogs with the 416.

The .416 sounds like an excellent cartridge for this purpose but I feel the same way about it as I do the .375 H&H. I'm not looking for a Cape Buff rifle.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stogey said:
Go with a .338 Lapua Mag.

I don't like oddball or unusual calibers. I don't have to shoot something that I can buy at Wal-Mart but it definitely needs to be something a sporting goods store will carry.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Standard ole' time .338 win mag will take care of any moose you'd care to shoot at..end of story, ammo available everywhere, a big punch for just a little more recoil that the average guy can handle with just a little time at the range...

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big Ken said:

I'm actually surprised you mentioned the 270 for moose. Being that you're the biggest .35 caliber fan I know of. What gives Ken? Are you saving all the .358, .35 Whelen, and .350 Rem. mag recommendations for another thread or sumthin'?

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
moosehunter said:
I'm liking the sound of the .338 WM though.
I've got a brand new Encore Pro Hunter with a Stainless FLuted 338 Win Mag Barrel on it. I'm going to sell the barrel. If you're an Encore guy, let me know.

(And as a Moose guy, you should be an Encore guy, cause I see Shockey on all the shows with his Encore!!
)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts