The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in western Allegheny County, I just received word from the PFBC. The water tests on Montour Run were acceptable and the scheduled trout stocking for April 12 will take place.
On the eastern side of the county, Turtle Creek will not be stocked due to the pollution levels.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
I travel along Montour Run almost daily. I noticed the color of the water has been almost "creamy" or white-tainted ? I didn't know there was an issue with the water quality though.

By the way, that stream, and the trail running along the stream, is FULL of snakes. Wouldn't catch me near there. I'm a huge snake sissy. lol

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
For those of you in western Allegheny County, I just received word from the PFBC. The water tests on Montour Run were acceptable and the scheduled trout stocking for April 12 will take place.

The water looks horrible in Montour Run this spring. As mentioned in the post above, it looks like skim milk many days.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the chalky white color is aluminum oxide. Iron oxide falls out as orange.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Mine drainage, most likely. It can cause the release of many metals, especially if the water rises a lot in the mine....not discounting possible industrial sources but, with the wet winter/spring we have had, pollution from old mines has increased.
In the article about Turtle Creek, they even say they think the pollution from aluminum this spring is only temporary and the water could return to a better condition to allow stocking for 2019.

·
20,149 Posts
Turtle Creek as in not stocked at all?? Man that place has been off and on ever since I child. I cut my teeth of Turtle Creek. Without the place I wouldn't be the trout angler I am now...or at least aspire to be.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Mine drainage, most likely. It can cause the release of many metals, especially if the water rises a lot in the mine....not discounting possible industrial sources but, with the wet winter/spring we have had, pollution from old mines has increased.
Yep. Montour Run has been higher than normal much of this spring from all of the rain. I suspect once the weather stabilizes a bit, the mine drainage will subside. It has looked horrible at times over the past month, though. Surprised it passed water quality standards.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I grew up along Montour creek. When I was a kid it ran orange sometimes. This creek has come along way.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we shot a lot of carp in that creek during the late 70's and 80's

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
we shot a lot of carp in that creek during the late 70's and 80's
I did quite a bit of bowfishing in the late 80s there as well. Carp were plentiful. I did do some summer scouting there last year for carp and did not see any where I used to see lots years ago.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forest Grove posted on their facebook page that they are stocking on Friday and the tournament is a go!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
On the eastern side of the county, Turtle Creek will not be stocked due to the pollution levels.
What part of Turtle Creek are they considering to stock?

I remember TC being full of laundry detergent run off and all sorts of bad stuff from the copper mill. Those things were mostly near Turtle Creek Borough itself and back in the 50's / 60's and I can't wrap my brain around this creek ever being clean enough for any living thing.

But I hope it is.......

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the confluence with Brush Creek at All American Park upstream to the Saunders Station Road bridge by the Bell Aire recreation Center

·
Registered
21,557 Posts
Which is well upstream from where Jimsdad is talking about. Brush creek is horribly polluted. That water looks like, if you dipped your had in it, you'd bring back nothing but bones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts