The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hunt with this outfitter in Ohio.Seems like an upfront and knowledgeable guy. He told me he has alot of Pa. clients. Would like to get some feedback. Thanks.

·
4,225 Posts
I hunted with Shane when he ran Working Man's Guide Service. I had fun but ONLY because I was there with friends and it was our first out of state hunt.

The stand locations were poor at best, the deer sightings were about the same. Only hunted 4 days, the only buck I saw was a small 6 point.

Friend hit a decent 8 (decent by PA standards, small by OH standards) but couldn't find it, long story short Shane and team put about five minutes of effort into helping trying to find it and came back to say "It went on posted property and we can't go there the owners are hunting" Two things, one funny how on day one you told us they live in Florida and aren't in town until shotgun season and two my buddy has now lost a complete day of hunting because you didn't take him with you nor did you follow up with him.

We didn't pay much and some would say we got what we paid for but come on man.

No joke the last day his kid took me to a new set. I got there and it was a beautiful bowl that I could see a nice beat trail at the bottom. Here was my exchange with the kid:

Me: Where are the deer typically moving
Kid: They run that trail along the bottom all the time
Me: Ok where is the other stand?
Kid: What other stand it is this one right here
Me: How am I supposed to shoot down into this bowl from here
Kid: No problem, put the pin three inches high and you'll be fine!

No joke! No deer!

Maybe he has changed (nice guy don't get me wrong), maybe his set up is different, maybe he has different access to land but I couldn't recommend him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We stopped at his booth and talk to him today. My dad is not Internet savvy whatsoever so I'm doing some checking out for him. I didn't get the greatest of vibes from him and personally probably would not go there. The booth that he was at was called Montgomery's outdoor adventures. So is he running his own thing now? Or is it still this working man's guide service? Does anybody know?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hunted with him last month. I thought he was great. Him and his son Kyle worked hard to put us on deer and he did but nothing to shoot. If you are looking for a guide to hold your hand and lead you to the stand every day then go someplace else and pay allot more. He knows his deer,they did exactly what he said they would do and he told us the truth.I would go back in a minute

·
Registered
90 Posts
The draw to it is the price. We can figure out our own meals and what not. I was a little confused between the Working Mans guide service stuff and Montgomerys Outdoor Adventures. I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Anything else you can think to add please do. We were talking to a lot of Ohio outfitters today and it feels like unless you have some references to talk to, you're always taking a gamble.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Privateowned I have hunted Montana,Maine,Canada,Maryland,New Mexico and Ohio.Good mostly and a couple of bad. Montgomery is allot different. He takes you out and shows you the stands and gives you his honest opinion as of what to do. They don't hold your hand.For example we hit poor hunting weather with wind and rain he told us we are wasting our time on any early morning hunting and told us when he thought the deer would move. He was right on.There was 2 of us and we stayed in a 65 foot mobile home which we thought was great. It was neat and clean and as good as any place I ever stayed. It is some of the finest deer woods I have ever hunted and the deer are big.He has a 16 inch limit on the bucks. We saw plenty of deer but nothing at 16.If you decide to go PM me and I will give you my phone number and fill you in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got back from a 2 day archery, 2 day gun hunt. 4 of us hunted. 2 other guys in another house that we didn't know. None of us got any buck. I saw a 9 point PA shooter the first night, but I couldn't put him past 16" wide. ($300) fine if you shoot ANYTHING under that width. Doesn't matter if it'll score 130". Overall I know the weather didn't help. Below 10 degrees the first 2 days, high of 58 degrees on Saturday, and 31 degrees Sunday. The first night for 2 of us was the best night. Me with the 9, and my Grandpa with a nice 8 point. Dad and Uncle didn't see a shooter at all. Stand set ups were mediocre I'd say. My Saturday evening sit for gun I was kinda pissed. "There's a big thicket up behind you and if the neighbors hunt but I don't think they are, the deer will get pushed out of there. Anyways though they'll come out of there and head towards the feed down across." My wind blew at a steady 10mph straight towards that thicket from 10am till dark. I didn't see a deer. I know I know it's hunting and I don't ever believe there is a guarantee. Shane and his daughter kept telling us about deer on trail camera. But we were never shown a single picture. I saw about 5 buck. Only one I would've even shot in PA. I wouldn't say don't ever go here, but I also wouldn't really recommend it as a first choice either. I think I'd rather save some more money and try somewhere else. Accommodations were good, no complaints there. Maybe archery rut time would be a different story with the big buck sightings. Any questions feel free to ask. I don't check the forums too often, but will answer whenever I see something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts