The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Kaitlyn, I have been hunting for a few years I am married and hunt mostly with my husband and "the guys", I am looking for other women who share this hobby with me that maybe would want to hunt eventually. Any tips?(Montgomery County, PA)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thank you, too bad you are not closer I have been looking for other female hunters to go out with so hopefully some more women see this post and are willing, I have a few spots I like to hunt at on private land I have permission to hunt it a deer highway there!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
It's great you have private property to hunt! I have permission on private too. It was a little iffy for 2013 but all worked out well. Hopefully you'll find a gal to hunt with.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi, I'm in Philly, so a little closer to you but I am a novice (only one squirrel so far). I have permission to hunt family property in Chester County but it's too small for safety zones for firearms and I am not proficient with the bow (yet) - it's a nice thing to have. I find it hard to find women to hunt with, too, and would be happy to see about meeting up if you wouldn't mind a relatively inexperienced hunter. Do you go out for Red Tag or were you thinking next year?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thinking for next year, I dont do the red tag program. I hunt with my bow for majority of the time, I wouldnt mind meeting up with you sometime and maybe we can shoot our bows a little, if you live in west philly youre about 40 mins from where i live

·
Registered
551 Posts
Kaitlyn Fitz said:
I thinking for next year, I dont do the red tag program. I hunt with my bow for majority of the time, I wouldnt mind meeting up with you sometime and maybe we can shoot our bows a little, if you live in west philly youre about 40 mins from where i live
I'm in West Philly but we are often up at our archery club near Pottstown. We hunted French Creek and nearby areas over Christmas break. I actually hunt with a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge shotgun (deer and squirrel). I am actively looking for a used bow right now, though. We joined an archery club before we had bows because we are a little backwards like that
. Knowing we have permission to hunt archery-only family property makes it more of a priority this year. I signed up for the Bowhunting course with the PGC. That's my deadline for getting a bow (September).

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
WestPhillyFam said:
That's my deadline for getting a bow (September).
WPF~ If your deadline for getting a bow is September of 2014, I would strongly encourage you to hold off on hunting with the bow until Fall Archery 2015 so you can practice a lot with it before heading out into the field.
If you can aquire a bow in lets say March of 2014, and practice every day, that's a little different. You could very well be ready for Fall Archery 2014.

Practice is very important. In that, we learn form and shot placement with practice. A bow takes a lot more effort than pulling out the rifle and/or shot gun, looking down the scope or open sight, aiming and squeezing the trigger. Practice is the #1 goal when bow hunting. You can never get too much of it. But too little and it can be a disaster if a deer presents itself to an inexperienced *bow* hunter.

So practice, practice, practice and you will get there!
Good Luck and I hope you find a bow that you like!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Janie. Definitely not trying to sound like were being negative but inexperience with a bow while hunting deer is not a good combo. Ive seen some bad shots on deer and then the meat is spoiled or you have to track for hours sometimes days because they keep running. Needless to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bow I pick that over any gun any day!!! I have the bow tech diamond infinite edge was not too pricey and very light I love it!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh, I did not express myself well but I appreciate your warnings, ladies. I would never, ever in a million years plan to archery hunt next season (was toying with MAYBE a crossbow late season if I can get comfortable with it). No, I meant we signed up for the PGC bowhunting class in September so I would like to have my own bow for that. That class is oriented towards beginners and they will lend you a bow but I'd like to already have my own, if possible. I am actually quite skeptical I will ever archery hunt with a compound bow, though I would like to pick it up for target practice and just to see what it's like. It's a bit of a bone of contention with dear hubby because I say we can never practice enough given where we live to be able to take an ethical shot, ever. There are no longer ranges nearby and I know my limitations. I want to explore crossbow hunting more and see if that would be a feasible solution for this property. My family needs the help controlling a sizeable population of deer, so I'd like to do what we can since they are not open to having non-family hunt there. But, yeah, not planning on archery hunting any time soon, if ever (unless MAYBE with a cross bow if I am get proficient). I just want to get started with learning about it (since the deer and the property are not going away).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Kaitlyn Fitz said:
I agree with Janie. Definitely not trying to sound like were being negative but inexperience with a bow while hunting deer is not a good combo. Ive seen some bad shots on deer and then the meat is spoiled or you have to track for hours sometimes days because they keep running. Needless to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bow I pick that over any gun any day!!! I have the bow tech diamond infinite edge was not too pricey and very light I love it!!
Is that this one? That is a nicely priced bow.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
WPF~ I don't know if your family's property is close to you or not but I don't see why you couldn't target practice there? That's what I would do.

Kaitlyn~ I bought the Diamond Razor from BowTech in 2010 and loved that bow. I hear the Infinate Edge is very close to the Razor Edge. It didn't seem all that heavy intil I picked up the Carbon Rose!
If you're not looking for a new bow... DO NOT! I repeat... DO NOT pick up the Carbon Rose because you will fall in love with not only it's looks but how freaking light it is! I'm getting mine outfitted right now!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Janie said:
WPF~ I don't know if your family's property is close to you or not but I don't see why you couldn't target practice there? That's what I would do.
It's about an hour away, not counting bad traffic. We can practice with our firearms most Saturdays at an indoor range, but bow would be tough - the range we belong to up north is actually closer than my family's (also an hour but better on traffic). We have a long alley that I thought about trying to use, but with ricochet and all, it would be too dangerous. It's a shame because the range we go to used to have an indoor archery range but as there are fewer interested, it's been turned over to tactical training and Act 235. Maybe someday we'll move farther out... For deer, I am not happy with the slug gun situation, though. I use slugs at max 30 yards in my older 12g, which is a far from fantastic setup. I've just hated every modern slug gun I've tried. This lady hunter business is sometimes tough to find the right equipment

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I don't use slugs for deer. I have a rifle but in all honesty, I may just give it up because I prefer my bow and feel so much more accurate with the bow and guess what?! It's lighter than my 270! lol

I may bow hunt during rifle this year. I shot a deer with my 270 at 10 yards during the second week of rifle. I could have killed that doe with my bow... I live for those close encounters.

Good luck WPF!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Janie said:
I don't use slugs for deer. I have a rifle but in all honesty, I may just give it up because I prefer my bow and feel so much more accurate with the bow and guess what?! It's lighter than my 270! lol

I may bow hunt during rifle this year. I shot a deer with my 270 at 10 yards during the second week of rifle. I could have killed that doe with my bow... I live for those close encounters.

Good luck WPF!
We're in special regs, but I would much prefer rifle. Just doesn't make much sense to concentrate on rifle around here, though, since there are so many deer in the SRA that need attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you ever get the chance to try a compound bow I think you will love it, I hunted all season with my bow and wouldn't have it any other way. I personally think crossbows should only be legal for the handicap, it takes away all of the challenge of archery but that is just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Kaitlyn Fitz said:
If you ever get the chance to try a compound bow I think you will love it, I hunted all season with my bow and wouldn't have it any other way. I personally think crossbows should only be legal for the handicap, it takes away all of the challenge of archery but that is just my personal opinion.
I get that but with family asking us to help them out, I am less concerned with a challenge than with helping them out, KWIM? The deer bed down in their garden next to the house!

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Kaitlyn Fitz said:
Janie- The only time I needed a gun this year was for waterfowl, but I mostly deer hunted this year brought my bow every time!
I'll be bow hunting during rifle this year. I feel so much more comfortable with my bow than my rifle. And... I love the close encounters more than anything! You know you're doing everything right when they are less than 20 yards and have no idea you're even there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts