The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flew out to Glacier International with my long time best friend a few weeks ago. We were going out to meet a buddy at school to help him drive back to PA for the summer. Naturally, we turned the trip into a week long fishing vacation. We stopped at Glacier National Park for cut throat's (Lake McDonald and Avalanche Lake only because most of the road through the park was still closed due to snow), Rock Creek (proclaimed as the best creek for wade fisherman in the state) down near Missoula where the salmon flies were having a heavy hatch, and the famous Bighorn River. This was truly a once in a lifetime trip for us, especially at the age of 22. Out of all the places we stopped, the fishing at the Bighorn was the most productive but Glacier National Park was second to none when it came to scenery. The video was nice to capture this scenery, but it truly did it no justice. I put the video together on the drive home since it ended up being about 40 hours once our detours to Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands were factored in. I had more than enough free time on my hands to cut and edit it. The drive was tiring, but I would do it again in a heart beat. Enjoy the video and let me know what you think! The link is posted below, put it in HD if you can. It was shot in 1080p so that's the ideal setting to watch it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzlAWWwUwk

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Wow. That was a great video. I felt like I was there. Did fishing trips like that and it brought it home. Nice stuff.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I enjoyed the video. Eating one of the insects is a bit exreme though.

Those salmon flies are huge. I saw them on a couple streams in Idaho. Some of the little <span style="text-decoration: underline">cutthroats</span> could barely get them in their mouths. Those salmon flies are like fly casting a plug.

A friend and I went to Montana a few years ago. We didn’t fish the same area. We fished the Madison, Ruby, Big Hole, Missouri, and the Jefferson. We mostly spin fished. I would love to go back some day.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thank you for sharing. That is a great video and looks like you had a trip of a lifetime. The part eating the fly made me cringe a bit.

I've been across country on 3 separate occasions, your video definitely brought back some great memories. Looking back, I wish I would have fished my way around but I was young and had other things on my mind and places to get to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the feedback. Just to clarify, eating a salmon fly on your first time fishing a Montana salmon fly hatch is SUPPOSEDLY Montana tradition. The more I think of it, the more I realize it may be a sick joke played by the locals..... Still something I'll never forget though.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
BOWTECH12 said:
Thanks all for the feedback. Just to clarify, eating a salmon fly on your first time fishing a Montana salmon fly hatch is SUPPOSEDLY Montana tradition. The more I think of it, the more I realize it may be a sick joke played by the locals..... Still something I'll never forget though.
I have seen it on a few other videos so you might have not been fooled to bad

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Fantastic video. Glacier is a special place. I don't think you can get much better than that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trout 2003 said:
Cool. Hardcore moment with the bug tasting right there! Good stuff. A real man woulda eatin' a handful though lol.
Lol I don't know if I could have done a handful. That may have made me throw up on the side of the stream!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts