The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to start planing a elk trip and it was suggested to hunt the Ennis area. Any one hunt in this area? Googled outfitters in this area and quite a few poped up.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I bowhunted the Crazy mts 2 years ago for elk and it was spectacular.Don't have any idea where Ennis is though.Do you homework and call the biologists out there for imfo.They are very helpful,and Montana has some of the best elk hunting there is.Everybody talks about Co.,but Mt. is WAY better.Long seasons,tons of land and BIG bulls,and you don't have to chose a weapon like Co.bowhunting is the way to go if you bowhunt.The bulls will be screaming and letting you know exactly where they are

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ennis is west of the park, eik hunting can be hit and miss, unless your on private land.My cousin has hunted there for 25 years.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'd avoid any area close to the park.all I've heard is the herds have been on a big downhill slide around the park.Try the Crazy's you won't be disappointed!I know a father/son team that live in Mt. that kill bulls every year in there in archery and they are picky.Elk hunting isn't hit or miss or comes down to knowing your areas

·
Registered
108 Posts
I justed hunted in the Alder area this year and I can not complain saw well over 100 elk, killed a super 6 by 6 saw a dandy of a bull before I got mine just didnt get up the hill fast enough, saw some dandy mulies but didnt get any shots off

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am working on same idea for next year. I've talked to a guy in SW MT and he feels the wolves are really hurting the herds there. I plan to call the area bio next week. I'll post what I find.

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been hearing the same thing about the wolf issue.....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I hunted the same area as matchgrade did a few years ago on a drop camp hunt. Seen a big set of wolf prints not 150 yards from our tent. In parts of Idaho elk and deer are being decimated by wolves. When the liberals control hunting seasons and predator control we all loose. Let game biologist set those seasons and limits.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't scratch Mt. off your list.Its an awesome place to hunt deer and elk.Just avoid the known wolf and grizz areas,and you will find alot of elk.The mountain range I mentioned is incredible elk hunting if you hoof it in a ways.Probably the best elk hunting spot I've ever found in quantity and quality

1 - 9 of 9 Posts