The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've decided to go with Montana brand coil. Like I stated earlier I'lll be going after coon, fox, bobcat and coyote. Should I go with the 1 1/2 special or the #2? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Between the two traps you are only talking about 1/4" difference in the jaw spread.If I had to choose I would go with the #2.You get a 'little' more room for a bobcat or coyotes foot and with the other animals you mentioned they won't notice the difference.Your coons will probably chew with either trap so that 1/4" won't make much difference to them one way or the other.
Above it was mentioned for you to try to find some Montgomery 1 1/2 traps. I have both Montgomery ( some 40 years old ) and Montana specials and for all intents and purposes they are one as good as the other. They are both strong traps that will hold from fox to coyotes.The thing is though that some people like to collect the Montgomery traps so even if you do find some that are good they will probably cost you more than you can buy the Montana Specials for.My problem with both of them is that as I get older the little short levers are getting harder to open since Arthur has come to town.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange but I ended up buying 1/2 dozen Bridger 1.75's! For those that have, how you like em? I have a dozen Sleepy Creek 1 3/4 and guy I buy my trapping supplies from can't get Sleepy Creeks but can get Bridgers so I went with them to keep my business local. Are they good out of the box or with I have to do some mods to em?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had some, they where OK, I sold mine, didn't care for how tight the jaws where. Alot of guys like them.
Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great!! I forgot to mention they're offset, if that makes a difference?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts