The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good monopod or gun rest for shotguns? Depending on setups we all know how heavy or uncomfortable holdup up the shotgun can be. There are times that I can rest the gun on top of my knee but after an hour or so the top of my knee will get sore.

I was looking for a monopod or rest that others have used that will allow me to be more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I use the foldable shooting sticks. Usually I can have 2 free hands to run a pot call. Plus they fold up nice and small for transport in my vest. I dont shoot from them I just use them to prop up my gun.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I bought a cheap gorilla stick for my son when he started hunting.I folded down small enough to fit in the back of a turkey vest and had a tight head that really held tight to the forend so he could move the shotgun around without having to touch the stick.He killed most birds shooting offhand but the monopod was nice to keep the gun in position for when it came time to shoot.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Go find some red brush along a creek bottom. Most all the shoots are straight and have a Y on them. Cut it long and figure out, from a seated position, what length you need to trim it to.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Have never used anything buy my knee in 35 years of chasing gobblers, one thing that did help was going from a 12 to a 20. Several pounds makes a big difference. And even more noticeable when carrying a gun every day for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've used a bipod for many years now and I find it much more comfortable and convenient than trying to balance a gun on your knee.
When a bipod really shines is when you have to set up on your knees, maybe on the edge of field where you can't sit down and see. Mine is quickly adjustable for height with individual leg adjustments for uneven terrain. It's just become second nature to me now.

One trick I used is that I situate the legs of the bipod so that the gun is leaning back into my shoulder. This way I can be hands free to work a pot call or whatever else and my gun never moves.
Also if my gun is pointed straight in front of me and a bird sneaks in left or right, I can lift up the front of the gun and the bipod falls silently into my lap so I can swing the gun and make the shot.
I keep the bipod back under the receiver and this increases my range of motion that I can shoot and still maintain a solid rest.

Attention to small details can often finish a hunt.

·
Super Moderator
7,996 Posts
I have a V-pod. Telescopes, has a short "V" with two feet that comes out of the bottom, or stows inside the last/bottom section. It clamps to the barrel and folds toward the muzzle into a clip to hold it parallel to the barrel when not in use.

It is not heavy and works very well, and is always ready/easy to deploy.

Google up "Hunter Specialites V-Pod Shooting Stick" and you'll find it.

$30 online currently. I highly recommend it. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Might want to check into "hunters specialties knee gun rest"

Is a U shaped pad like you would lay the forearm of your gun on at the range, that straps to your leg. Falls down sometimes for me depending on how much you walk. But works pretty good. Weighs nothing.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I've bought several cheap gorilla monopods over the years. They work great and come in very handy when a gobbler has you in an awkward position.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
I have been using the Hunters Specialties knee pad for a couple of decades....East to carry in a pocket. I don't prefer any type of tri/bi/mono pods as they cut down on the aiming range to only the spot you set it and the gun. The knees pad is less money around $10 and easier to carry.

If the gobbler comes in and you must move the gun to the left or right, up or down it tends to require awkward and additional movement to get into position; whereas, with the knee pad it is much more effective to move ones gun into position without moving the pod by simply lifting the gun from ones knee.

The gun can rest in place for long periods of time or while using a friction or box call. My prior turkey vest had a pocket located just right to hold the butt of my gun into place while the knee pad belt the barrel in place for easy quick access.

I think they are the cats Meow...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't prefer any type of tri/bi/mono pods as they cut down on the aiming range to only the spot you set it and the gun.

For me it's the total opposite. My little monopods swings with my gun any direction I need it to be and I don't have to hold the weight of the gun. As you know with running/gunning and gobblers being neurotic they rarely come in where you expect them to. My monopods have absolutely aided me in killing birds that I wouldn't have otherwise due to moving in an awkward position.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Hunter8319:

Perhaps I don't understand the use of pods. So here are my questions: How does one move their gun higher or especially lower to be on target as a gobbler approaches in clear sight at close range?

How does the hunter move the pod from one side of the shooters leg to the other side of their leg when the gobblers approach in close range while the gun is setting on a pod facing the now wrong direction without the turkey seeing and fleeing?

How does one make this adjustment in time if the turkey approaches at a fast pace to make the shot before the gobbler is in ones face?

I don't understand just how a pod "swings" isn't it setting on a pedestal when the leg of the pedestal setting on the ground?

I am thinking since you are referring to running and gunning you are not hunting out of a blind where some movement can be concealed as one relocates the pod left/right or up/down.

Help me out here....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts