The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to re-rig some of my decoys and I was thinking about switching to clear monofilament. The black tangle free line that I’m using now is easily seen in clear water and I often wonder if that causes birds to not commit. Anyone using clear mono on their decoys, and if so, any opinions?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I had been using black tip-up line never noticed the birds flaring from the line(if the ducks are that close they should be dead) but I changed over to 65 lb test Berkley braid in green. I pick it up cheap at a flea market put it on my musky outfit and still had enough left to do my decoys(about 30) with app. 6' drops.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
I use Tangle free in green or black. I never saw any reason to believe the ducks could see it. It is thicker and I think much easier to handle in cold wet weather than mono or weed wacker line.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I mostly use the black tangle free line ... them seeing that line and flaring off it is way down the list of things i'm worrying about.

If I was to use something like mono or fluro - I'd want it as thick as I could just to make it easier to handle and less likely to tangle or knot. I have a few that still have some old decoy string on them there's knots in all those lines.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
I use this stuff for my long lines. It would probably work great for decoy line.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not concerned so much about birds flaring once committed as much as not being able to even get them turned and interested. Sometimes birds will pass on by and not even give a second look, so I was wondering if maybe they were seeing the lines in really clear shallow water. I’m pretty far down in the SE corner of the state and the ducks have probably seen quite a few spreads by the time they get to me. From what everyone is saying though, it sounds like it’s not worth making the switch.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
Where are you hunting with water that clear? Somebody's swimming pool?:smile_big:

Reactions: Settingduck

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Send the dog out and stir up the mud in the water a little bit....feeding ducks likely are not sitting in perfectly clear water - as they are looking for food on the bottom, stirring up mud.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I’m not concerned so much about birds flaring once committed as much as not being able to even get them turned and interested. Sometimes birds will pass on by and not even give a second look, so I was wondering if maybe they were seeing the lines in really clear shallow water.
Sometimes its not anything you're doing wrong or anything they're seeing - sometimes its just that there's other places they'd rather be or were headed. Especially if they don't even look at you & just keep on going without breaking a wing beat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes its not anything you're doing wrong or anything they're seeing - sometimes its just that there's other places they'd rather be or were headed. Especially if they don't even look at you & just keep on going without breaking a wing beat.
Yep, that’s likely the case. I was just doing some thinking about what I could do to tweak my my game to make the most of the few times I can get out. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
Yep, that’s likely the case. I was just doing some thinking about what I could do to tweak my my game to make the most of the few times I can get out. Thanks.
1. Use a face mask.

2. Don't move when birds are approaching. Follow them with your eyes.

I am serious. These are the two most common reasons birds won't commit IF they were going to commit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Use a face mask.

2. Don't move when birds are approaching. Follow them with your eyes.

I am serious. These are the two most common reasons birds won't commit IF they were going to commit.
Very true. I have several face masks that I use depending on temp. Also a brimmed hat is helpful to conceal eye movement. I like to sit back in the blind and fix my hat so my eyes are just peering out under the brim. My boat blind has a screen type mesh that we can pull over the top opening that helps conceal in the event someone moves at an unopportunistic time. My creek blind though is more open and birds always seem to overfly directly above. They always seem to approach from over a rear shoulder and catch you off guard. One thing I’ve always wondered is how far can ducks see behind themselves? As ducks are heading away while circling, can they see you if you move? Anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
One thing I’ve always wondered is how far can ducks see behind themselves? As ducks are heading away while circling, can they see you if you move? Anyway, thanks for the input.
They are a prey animal and their eyes are on the side of their head. They can see behind just as well as they can see ahead.

Their forward vision seems pretty good based on our use of motion decoys. We use Mojo ducks when we hunt with a particular guide on the Chesapeake. It seems that ducks passing at a good distance out see the motion on the water and they come over to take a look. Then consider how effective flagging is.

I use to belong to a private club and I hunted ducks there. On many occasions during the season I'd take one of our planes and fly over the club to look for ducks or to buzz my buddies if I knew they were hunting. If guys were in the blind and looked up their face would stand out at 300 even 500 feet up. My experience from flying over those blinds made me very aware about movement and camo.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
If guys were in the blind and looked up their face would stand out at 300 even 500 feet up. My experience from flying over those blinds made me very aware about movement and camo.

That's Interesting.

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
A shining example?
Exactly! Maybe you could get a drone and do the same thing. The drones usually use wide angle cameras and that might change the perspective but you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Dogface ... Was that you that buzzed us over at Blue Marsh(probably 15 yrs ago by now)? We were set up in a field goose hunting the early season. We were pretty much done for the morning when this pilot flew over - circled back and came in at tree level.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts