The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of replacing my 40 x 27 ranch home with a full basement with a 54 x 36 or wider home. Prior to this, I was going to add an addition, along with making some improvements to the roof, kitchen, and one bathroom. The bones of the house is not so great. The house is in Susquehanna County.

The cost of the home improvements are almost as much as demoing the house and getting a brand new home.

I was looking to see what the hassles would be and if anyone had any experience doing this project.

In addition, what modular home companies would you recommend or avoid. So far, I looked at Kittner, and Shorten homes and got a ballpark price.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I looked at some last week. Really impressed by one made by Pennwest. (3800 sq ft not including the basement or garage)
Looked at a couple ranch type modulars. They run the gamet but some do not include furnaces, air or water heaters. Others included the everything except site work and foundation. long rancher styles, have larger = more expensive basements/foundations. On route 30 east of Lancaster, Patriot Homes had a moderate size two story with nice features and possible 4/5 bedrooms for $124,900. It had furnaces on both levels.

Friends have a huge 76 ft long double wide with a standard gas furnace and the furnace just can't keep the place warm in winter. Might do for a shorter unit, but not theirs.
Looked at a few that weren't bad. Just finished with the cheapest cabinets and fixtures possible.

Just looking and fit and finish was all over the place with some makers. Of course getting anything nice requires upgrading the home. Better cabinets, tile instead of carpet, hardwood instead of wood grain vinyl,

Looked at a real rolls royce model with sub zero appliances in the kitchen. Extra $20,000 just for the kitchen upgrades.
The utility room had nicer cabinets counter and sink than my home kitchen.

Those base prices are really a joke. especially when the HVAC and water heater are not included. Then do you want block, poured or insulated concrete foundation, with walkout or not. I was told by one sales outfit to figure another 40 to 50 k for site work and foundation. Easy to get a quarter million tied up.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Forgot to add, many rancher style modulars are available with optional steeper pitched roofs and dormers. The result is a cape cod style house, but the second floor is left for you to finish.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
In my opinion there is nothing at all wrong with a quality built modular home. If the price is the same for the remodel or new home, I would choose the new home, as everything is new.
When looking at mod"s, pay close attention to quality. What type faucets, kohen/delta..........three hinges on doors, not the cheaper 2 hinge like some double wides.
We put in a higher end ritz craft 2story mod 16 years ago, and have been very satisfied. We have done a few more upgrades over the years, as well as a addition. We did not like there siding choices, so we ordered it with no siding and had our contractor do siding of our choice. Also used our own contractor for the HVAC as well as the attached garage.
It took us a while to order as we changed and customized a bunch of stuff, but they were more than to accommodate our wishes.
We were torn between stick building or this home, and looking back 16 years ago, I am not disappointed with our home.
The only issue we ever had was 2 years after building it we had a severe summer storm come through and blew a few shingles loose. I called the place we purchased the home from to confirm the shingle maker and style so I could get it fixed. They told me that should have never happened, and they came out and fixed it free of charge.

I did look at a lot of modular a back then, and I saw a lot of ....what I called junk. Before purchasing this home I actually took two contractor friends of mine through the lot model and ask them to pick it apart. They both came out of it saying it was very well built. So to summarize, I would highly recommend you get the best quality mod you can. You can add some customized stuff later down the road if you wish, but insist on the quality, you won't regret that .

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I visited about every modular home manufacturer in central PA and like was already mentioned, Ritz Craft is the way to go. Are they the cheapest, nope, but IMHO you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback.

Where there any issues with demolishing a prior house, adding onto a current foundation, site and septic inspectors, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts