The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you folks live in one of these? I have,for the last 15 years owned one and it is on a rented lot.
I owned 2 houses in my life time,so i hoped i would be able to take living in this!
The fellows i worked with,i am retired now,kept saying"I could never live in there. It is ,i guess what you would have called a trailer park.
I have to say,that ,this home,is bigger and better built,then the old houses iv'e owned.And all on one floor!
I like it a lot. 3 full bedrooms,2 full baths,kitchen,dinning room and a big living room!
Most of my life i was use to the wind blowing,in the winter,and windows rattling,the furnace coming on every 10 minutes? Oil heat costing me vast amounts of money in the cold weather!
The guys at work pay as much for oil heat, a week,as i pay a month for my heat,hot water and cooking gas. I have natural gas and i am not in a town or village,but a nice park. It is also a gated park,so it is very private.
The Pros of the place are it is very well kept, each place has a big yard that has to be kept cut, no junk cars,it you car doesn't have plates,it is not to be there,no boats kept on site,no dogs tied out[only 1 or 2 dogs per house hold, also and parking,on your lot for 2 or 3 cars. Sounds kind of restrictive but it keeps the place very nice. I f there were no rules,it would be a real "TRAILER PARK".There is one down the road from us and it is a "do what you want type" of place and it looks like a tin can ghetto with junk cars and trash around it.
The Cons are,the dude raises our lot rent about every 2 years or so!
I know of 3 people whom were noisy and partied a lot,and had to move out and take their homes with them. All in all it is very safe and peaceful. There are about 50% us older folks and familys with school kids.
Another fact,my lot rent and house payment are not as much as people in the area pay for renting an apartment and we have no one living above us or below us,no parking battles for a parking space or crazy people wandering around?

·
Administrator
30,605 Posts
We lived in a similar type park in Upstate NY when I was in the Air Force. Lot size of 140'x100' and we only had a single wide.
The park sat about 3/4 mile from the state road, surrounded by woods. Hunting out the back door!

The mobile home we had was less than a year old. 2x4 studs and 1/2" sheet rocked walls.

No regrets, but if I were to do something like that again it would be a put in place modular rather than a mobile.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I had a 28'x56' when I was stationed in Biloxi. It was very roomy, plus it had the cathedral ceilings in the living room, den, and dining room.

And it was so much nicer than base housing for a SSgt.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
indianahunter said:
Not for me...I prefer the country and a place that I own and make the rules. If I ever move it will be to a beach condo where my only housework will be to thank the guy who does it when I pay my rent.
That,s the most flip flop statement I ever read.You can,t have it both ways.Someone like me that is pure bred country boy wouldn,t be caught dead on a beach let alone live by one.Your comment revealed your true desires.

·
Premium Member
24,249 Posts
I have been living in a, I guess you could say a trailer court, for the past 16 years. But I have the best spot, it used to be the old landlords place. I pay lot rent too, it's under 200.00 a month. This is a 14'x 70' trailer I paid $8000 for. Within the last 8 years I had a new roof put on, tin, and recently I had vinyl siding and 4x8 sheets of insulation, plus all new windows and a new fence. I guarantee it's worth 3 times what it was 8 years ago.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
A double wide isnt a modular, it is a double wide trailer. Modulars are stick built homes built in jigs in a factory made in pieces then trucked to site and assembled. You cant have a colonial trailer, but you cna have a colonial modular.

If your house has a title and a VIN, it is a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
My uncle lives in a modular. He is like you he loves it. Easy on the wallet to heat and cool. The one he has is also one level but he attached a breezeway and a double car garage to it. I remember seeing it for the first time and I thought it was a regular house he had built there and he said no its a modular.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
there are single wides, double wides, "hudulars" and modulars. Double wides are generally just two mobile homes that are wedged together. The metal underframes are a critical part of the structure of the home. Hudulars, are similar, but the metal frames don't always get wedged side by side. Sometimes a part of the house is intended to be set vertically. Then there are modulars, stick built in wharehouses with their own structures that are independent of the metal trailers they are shipped on. ie. the pieces of the house are lifted off the trailers and placed onto a foundation. We just moved into a two story 2900 sq ft modular that was shipped in 4 pieces and set in place with the largest crane I ever saw. So far, there have been just a few minor things to be corrected, but all in all, the structure is stronger than a stick built house, because it must hold together being drug down a bumpy highway from the factory. Ours was made north of Pittsburgh by Penn West. We have the usual, "why didn't we do the laundry room this way, or do that in the kitchen, but over all, it is nice with oak cabinets and trim. (No vinyl fake wood) We also added a wrap around porch and had the house set on a Superior walls foundation. The factory sends crews out to handle punch lists and keeps coming back for a year.

Sometimes people confuse SIP homes with modulars. SIPs are wall and floor panels that are finished in a factory and then shipped to be bolted together at the site. As I recall Deltec homes are a type of SIP construction.

We visited two modular home factories before buying. There is one up in Liverpool PA and another in Pine Grove. One huge advantage to some of the models is the large 3/4 bedroom first floors and the unfinished second floor big enough to add more bedrooms and bathrooms. One model we looked at, had a potentially 21 x 62 ft second floor unfinished area. Having the 2nd floor plumbing and heating stubbed in was an option. That would have made the house just over 3,300 sq ft.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
I sell insurance and I can tell you that not every modular is the same.I've seen some that were complete junk and I've seen some that were better than any stick built house.I wouldn't hesitate to put up a modular.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.