The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a wool man, I will be going to Colorado next year and am gonna try some different tactics for deer this year in the mountains. So I'm looking into new gear. I will stick to wool as a base layer but am intrigued by these packable layers to add as necessary. Looking at things like core4element, kiui etc... any experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
90% of what i own for big game is wool,from me undies to me outerwear.All weights in between,lightweight to heavyweight.If its going to be a wet day i carry the cabelas packable rain gear,has never failed me.Dont have any experience with what you mentioned.In my book wool is the king.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Merino wool is king.
Core4element works as well as first lite and kuiu. It's also featured on "camofire.com" Great site for this type of gear at great prices. Sizes can be somewhat limited but i check it everyday. New stuff is always added in.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked into core4element at camofire and read their forum, lets say anything in stock if you call they will sell you,i have a full setup coming plus multiple merino wool baselayers coming. pretty reasonable pricing for sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I've bought a lot of such things from Camofire as deals appear. They were at the Harrisburg show not this past year, but the year before, and that was awesome and dangerous all at once, lol.

I use Core4Element Merino base layers, and I look at Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, and other places for deals on anything that's high content Merino.

I use Cabela's "Ultimate" wool socks, which are 75% merino content and come in different weights. Browning makes a good high-content Merino sock, too.

Primaloft isn't a bad insulator, but not for socks. I got primaloft socks and they were horrid.

I have Primaloft layer pants and they're fantastic.

For mobile type hunting, you might also want to check out Kuiu and Sitka's shell and outer layers. Meant for mobile hunting, and well made. Pricey, but good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a ton of merino wool base layers and imo icebreaker is the best.for socks,its icebreaker,smartwool,and when its cold i use alpaca socks.Icebreaker also makes some real nice midweight outer wear that can be found in different camo patterns on sierra trading post

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Camofire has been running a lot of Icebreaker lately. Might have to try some. I have been really pleased with my C4E stuff, though....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I usually layer with synthetic and wool to stay warm and dry but what made the biggest difference for me was breathable outer layers with some form of wind stop. It doesnt matter what your layers are if the wind can get through it you will be cold.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
My basic premise is this:

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you are wet, you are cold.</span>

This includes sweat. Base layers need to wick.

Shell layers need to keep water/moisture out.

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you can't keep heat in, you are cold.</span>

Shell has to keep wind out. Layers need to retain heat.

To these ends, I have tried a few things and find merino to do the best job for me for insulating and wicking layers.

For a shell, I've had a few things. To date, believe it or not, the very best shell I've gotten was a military-copy parka. The newer water-proof style (not the old M65 style, the newer kind). They're noisy, though.

I've personally found that shell/outer layers aren't nearly as critical as base/insulating layers. As long as it keeps wind and water out, it'll work.

·
Registered
195 Posts
synthetics stink to high heaven if you sweat at all,and if they get soaked with sweat in cold weather,then you will also be cold.You are correct about the wind scenario.i have a wool sweater that is lined with wind stopper for those types of days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts