The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader for my dad to use in the pa early muzzleloader season. He's 76 but moves around pretty well. I have no experience with modern guns muzzleloaders but I have some experience with flintlocks. My dad has shots up to about 150 yards in his farm fields so the gun needs to be able to get out to that range. I also would like to have a tc encore rifle in .357 so if I could get a muzzleloader and a .357 all in one frame that would be great. I would also be interested in a way to cheat in archery and get some of the pesky does that eat my apple trees in the winter. If I had to do get a slightly better gun than a muzzleloader on an encore frame I would be ok with that. Let me know what I need. I see Thompson center omegas, and black diamond xr's for sale locally. What caliber and make do I want.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
At 76, he needs a muzzleloader (or a bow) to take a doe Oct. 18-22* but he can use a rifle Oct. 23-25*. If he uses a rifle he gets three days of hunting. If he uses a muzzleloader, 5 additional days of hunting.

Steve.
*2014 season dates for the mid-October antlerless season. Dates vary slightly year to year.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I love my Encore 50 cal X 209. Mine is the original version but newer models have much more friendly breach plug removal and what not.
Mine is very accurate shooting Barnes Xpanders with 120 gr of 777 powder.
Groupings at 1-1 1/4" at 100 yards and 3-4" at 200 yards.
More accurate then some of my center fire rifles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi I have shot several muzzle loaders over the years. 2 years ago I purchased a new gun from a new company. The company is LHR arms and I got a redemption muzzle loader. This is by far the best muzzle loader out there in my opinion. Easy to clean, breaks down by hand and shoot lights out. Take a look at them,

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the TC Encore with the 209 X 50 barrel, I use 50 cal sabot bullets that are really 45cal bullet in a plastic sabot, I use blackhorn 209 powder and it is very accurate and you can get different barrels and make it a centerfire rifle or even a pistol. there are cheaper blackpowder rifles out there like the TC impact or CVA and Traditions but I really like the Encore and with being able to change it into other guns its a good choice if you don't mind the initial investment. I got a good deal and paid less than $500 for mine.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Once you sort of decide what you want check out gunbroker. I got a brand new sealed in the package TC Black Diamond for $175 from a guy in Texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts