The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across a nice looking model 760 in 35 Whelen in a local gunshop. Price is $525 so anyone interested pm me and I will give name and phone number.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
must have been a re-chamber. not that there is anything wrong with that. 760's weren't made in whelen. sure it isn't a 7600?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was told it was a 760, did not handle it. Looks in fine shape from 6 feet away.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
They made some, but they were not cataloged. Batches of 500 rifles.
Wrong again, Harry. The 760 was discontinued in 1981 and the Whelen was first offered in the 1988 700 Classic. Any 760 Whelen is either a rebored .30/06 or rebarreled with a non-original tube....a .35 Remington could be rechambered to Whelen with a little bolt face alteration thrown in....

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just picked up a 760 in 35 Rem. today for a very good price. If the gun won't shoot well I will have to think about having it rechambered for 35 Whelen. I always thought it would be neat to have a whelen.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
After the limited production of 35 whelens, remington maked a limited number of pumps (now 7600) in 35 remington. If you can't get the (used) 35 Whelens, then try for a 35 Remington, it makes into a very good 358 winchester.

Doubt I'll sell my 35 whelens, they are presently going pretty expensive now to collectors of the pump guns, and will only go up. If you have one, keep it.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
for the re-chamber, it might be best to do with a 3006...

no bolt face alterations needed...not sure of the dimensions of a 35rem...but the whelen is a 3006 case..still have to have it re-bored...

probably be best just to buy a whelen in the long run...lol..

either way your having a 35 rem rechambered and bolt face altered or having a 06 rebored and rechambered..

if you cant find a used one, Grices may have special runs of whelens made....they havent since 2005 or so in 35 whelen..not sure if they'll bring it back or not..enough demand and they'll make anything...and a bunch of us on here want a whelen carbine..

im in love with the caliber thus far...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've been trying for a while now to get my hands on a whelen. About the only place I can find them is online and after a while the bidding go's past my $600 range.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys have to admit I was mistaken, rifle is a 7600 andit is in very good condition.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Believe a rifle but just checked to see it was a 7600 and glanced at the riflescondition. I get nothing if it is sold, just trying to help guys on here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts