The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 7 .308 (18.5"barrel) that I bought new in 1988. It has a 1 piece base,it has 3 mounting hole,2 in the front and 1 in the back.I guess that's why they put the 1 piece base on it.My son is useing it now,and it's a little hard to load because of the bridge the base makes. Is there a 2 piece base for these??

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Brownells has Leupold two piece bases for the 7.

Brownells- Mod 7 bases SKU #:526-512-560

As I understand it the bridge on later production actions have two holes for the two piece bases. It wouldn't be a big deal drilling and taping a second hole for the two piece.

Bill

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
They used only make one piece bases for the model 7.I have no idea if you can get a 2 piece base now.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
dce said:
They used only make one piece bases for the model 7.I have no idea if you can get a 2 piece base now.
As I said,yes, Leupold makes a two piece base for the 7. I've been out of the business for years and as a result I'm not current on all the details, but it appears later production Mod 7s were drilled and tapped for two piece bases, two holes in the bridge, two in the ring.

From the current online Mod 7 Owner's manual, item #41

So, if you have an older production action with one hole in the bridge its a simple matter buying the mounts, measuring the hole spacing then drill and tap the bridge for the second screw.

Bill

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The older Model 7s only have three holes and you cannot use a two piece bases. The newer Model 7s have the four holes.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have one of the originals in 708 with the 18" pencil thin barrel. It has a leupold one piece and I nor my daughter learning ever had an issue with it being in the way, never crossed my mind. If your's isn't a Leupold then the Leupold will fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts