The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the proper way to repair this firearm.A butt plate screw is missing.I bought a new one.$7.20 shipped.The problem is it just falls in the screw hole.I'm inclined to epoxy the hole or drill it and install a hardwood wooden rod.What I need to know is the proper repair to retain the antique value.Should I leave it as is?This is important to me.I gave the gun to my son for a Christmas present 2 years ago and the screw fell out.He wants me to fix it.He is sad because the gun will go to his son etc.You are not helping me but a 13 year old boy and his possible son.What I want from this is a gun to be in the fifth generation of my family in good condition worthy of value and use.The gun performs quite well.I used it as kid and my son shoots it well.My parents would know where I am on this.I think some of you may as well.This gun was given to me because of the fact my brother would have sold it.Please no smart remarks.This is of intense sentimentel value to our family.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Put a wooden plug in the hole, don't epoxy or glue it in, the expansion of the wood from the screw will hold it tight.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have wooden plugs and Elmers glue but it is brown because the wood I have is all walnut.I know walnut is a good wood.I'm sitting on oveer 400 board feet of it.What I need to know is how to retain the historic value during the repair.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
No one will remove a buttplate to analyze a screw hole repair, its just a matter of taking up the extra space. Someone at some point put the wrong screw in, one that was too large in diameter. Heres the trick I have used and seen used the most. Insert a plug of the same type of wood. You may have to fashion the plug to make it right. Do not glue it or epoxy it, make it tight and flush. Put a few drops of water on the plug every few hours for a day or two. This will expand the plug. Reinstall the buttplate. When done the screw will tighten the plug for good. Most important, you have done nothing that can't be removed, you did not alter or modify the gun.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Just bust a couple of toothpicks off in the hole..........it should tighten right up...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i had a nice model 14 carbine with loose butt plate screws and i carefully drilled the holes out and inserted hardwood plugs in for a tight fit and then carefully predrilled the holes through the plugs and put the screws back in. rub a little of the sawdust mixed with tiny bit of oil onto the plug area you can barely tell that the holes were filled and drilled. besides, as someone already said, nobody is going to ding you for plugging under the buttplate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts