The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot the 223 tonight at 100, 150 and 200 to verify the balistics on my mil-dot chart. I shot 3 shot groups 10 minutes apart with a 3-5 mph wind at my back.

I came home and started looking at the numbers and I need a second opinion to verify my math.

Heres my results for the groups shot from bipods with a rear bag prone on the ground.

100 yards 0.552"
150 yards 0.617"
200 yards 0.733"

In theory I should have shot a 1.104" group at 200 yards, but its grouping smaller as I shoot further. (Typically this gun shoots in the .7-.8" at 200 yards.)

What is the proper way to determine the MOA of this load? Use the 100 yard group as MOA or divide the group size into the yardage and average the 3 distances?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It's just numbers. Looks to me like I wouldn't want to be anything that you are shooting at down range.

If nothing else you have a darn fine shooting gun. Mind if I ask what you are shooting?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
hunt/fish......THANK YOU....I tell him the same thing all the time...he worries too much and he reads too much. LOL

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hunt/fish365 said:
Looks to me like I wouldn't want to be anything that you are shooting at down range.
Sometimes the safest place to be is 200 yards away from me looking the wrong way down the scope

26" HB Encore 55grn Nosler with 25g of H335 with a 3200 10x40MD scope

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Probably you are experiencing the bullet "going to sleep". Due to a variety of mechanical and physics factors all bullets leave the barrel with a wobble. Typically it takes a few hundred yards for the bullet to stabilize or go to sleep. Yours may be nicely going to sleep quickly. This is indicated when the MOA decreases the farther you shoot.

If you want to research it more, look up nutation or precession combined with the word bullet as these terms apply to all ballistic objects.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Without getting technical, MOA simply translates into an inch at 100, 2" at 200 and 3" at 300 yards and so on. How are you measuring your groups? Furtherest distance between the holes and subtract the caliber, or distance from centers of the furtherest holes? A group of about 3/4th inch at 200 yards is very good. Yes, bullets do "go to sleep" at longer distances as the gyroscopic stability levels out, so that groups smaller than MOA are normal. Have you tried 5 shot groups yet? Doing so will give you a better idea of its inherent accuracy.

You say "divide the group size into the yardage and average the 3 distances". In over 50 years of shooting, I have never heard of this. Please explain.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am alittle confused.. Actually alot.. What is it that your asking?? like SS said moa simply translate 1" tecnically 1.047"s @ 100 2" @ 200 and so on.. So if you shot a 3/4 your shooting better then moa @ 200yds which is great.. so your group is less then 1/2 moa at 200yds.. But moa also refers to drop.. so in another words if your shooting a 50 grain vmax @ 3400fps it should take you about 1.2 moa to get you to 200yds and about 3 moa to get you to 300... but this all veries on what bullet your shooting and what the bc of that bullet is.. which i assume you know all this which is why I am really confused as to what your asking..

·
Registered
889 Posts
It looks to me like you will be shooting into one ragged hole at 300 or 350 yards. I just love those one ragged hole "all day long" rifles. Tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts