The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give these a try in my CVA Wolf. Anybody got a good tips on powder charges or primers?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I'm going to give these a try in my CVA Wolf. Anybody got a good tips on powder charges or primers?
I push my 300gr .430 XTPs with 100gr of 777 (2 pellets) out of my Optima V2, Winchester or Kleenbore primers are all I'll use with T7..
I might have a slightly longer barrel than your Wolf, but I'd expect similar velocities.

Holds groups under an inch at 100 yards if I do my part.

I'm a big fan of 300gr (and up) bullets from the inlines. Most drop on the spot, and the very few that don't do not go far (under 25 yards) and leave horror movie amounts of blood.

What bullet are you planning to use?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I push my 300gr .430 XTPs with 100gr of 777 (2 pellets) out of my Optima V2, Winchester or Kleenbore primers are all I'll use with T7..
I might have a slightly longer barrel than your Wolf, but I'd expect similar velocities.

Holds groups under an inch at 100 yards if I do my part.

I'm a big fan of 300gr (and up) bullets from the inlines. Most drop on the spot, and the very few that don't do not go far (under 25 yards) and leave horror movie amounts of blood.

What bullet are you planning to use?
I have some Seirra 300 gr. JHP that I load in my Marlin 45/70 I'd like to try. Your right about them 300 grainers. I know out my 45/70 on a deer they put one heck of a whole with a blood trail a blind man could follow.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bullet choice will be critical. .458 calibers are designed for 45-70 through the 458/460s and may require heavier charges to get e ought velocity for reliable expansion.
If you plan on maxing at 300 grains, I'd stick with the 300 grain XTPs. Both bullet and sabot are also easier to find.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullet choice will be critical. .458 calibers are designed for 45-70 through the 458/460s and may require heavier charges to get e ought velocity for reliable expansion.
If you plan on maxing at 300 grains, I'd stick with the 300 grain XTPs. Both bullet and sabot are also easier to find.
I loaded up the .458 - 300 gr. Sierra bullets and MMP Sabots with 100 grs. of loose T 7 powder and according to the ballistic chart that'll give me a velocity of 1750 fps and that's about 50 fps faster than what I shoot that bullet out my 45/70 so I think I'll be good to go.
I shot this load to see how well it would group and got a 1 inch group at 50 yards so now I'll make an adjustment on the scope and move out to 100 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts