The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pretty good hunt this am just wish i could shoot better, their here by the crap load go get em boys before the river is running with ice its slushin up already. why does everybody wanna go to md when their right here.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Oh I dunno, because a MD "mixed bag" is quite a bit more "mixed."

Nice shoot though. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Eh, hunted both Md and Pa... Md hands down... However nice it is to kill some of those species in PA, you don't see the flock after flock of hundreds of divers, dippers and puddle ducks in PA like you do in MD. I've seen the water WHITE from canvasbacks on the Pax river.

Not to take anything away from your ducks, sweet job, but in regards to Pa vs Md?? like i said, Pa falls short...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Hey, some guys need to see thousands of ducks, some of us only need to see six. I'm not knocking MD, they have great hunting, but I can kill 6 in my backyard and not need an out of state license or spend half a paycheck on gas to get there.

BTW, plenty of guys get skunked in Maryland, too. Read Maryland's equivalent to HPA. Those guys aren't golden by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well, you are correct to some extent Don, BUT ...... I'm headed down to MD next Tuesday night with 3 of my closest firends and hunting partners. It sure is nice to get away even if its only for a day or two and spend some bonding time with your friends, hunting, eating out, story telling, etc ... I guess you could say it's the "entertainment factor". No man can put a price on that!!!

Not sure how old you are, but I'm closing in on 50 real fast. These types of things seem to matter to you at this age than they do when you're only in 20's or 30's. Life comes at you but one time ...... enjoy it while you can.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I turned 38 on NYE and I've started to figure out what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong though, I leave next Friday for a sea duck hunt in NJ with Drake's waterfowl. Point of it is to shoot what we don't see at home. I wouldn't go to MD to shoot greenies or geese, but cans and sea ducks would make it worth it.

Like I said, I'm not knocking MD or the hunting, it's fantastic.

Funny, as I've gotten a bit older, I always think about how many seasons I may have left andd about the frailty of life itself. My dad passed at 53. I live each season like I only have 15 left or less. I appreciate every day out there, doing what we all love to do.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
DTaylor said:
Funny, as I've gotten a bit older, I always think about how many seasons I may have left andd about the frailty of life itself. My dad passed at 53. I live each season like I only have 15 left or less. I appreciate every day out there, doing what we all love to do.
There you go brother! That's what I'm talking about.

Good luck Don on that trip. Be safe and shoot'm up!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Don, Please don't use the forums to gauge the quality of the hunting in Maryland. Those boys down there will tell bold faced lies to their own mother about where they were and what they shot that morning. They do counter-intel as well. Guys will leave their driveway in one direction, only to loop around on a back road and head the other way so their neighbor doesn't know which direction they are headed.

Anybody posting on forums in MD is either a newbie, or likely providing misleading information. Different breed of cat down there.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
JUST SWEET!!!!

I do believe D.C. Phil R. once said, "Fear God, Love Your Neighbor, Hunt Ducks" lol.

No where does it say anything about not being able to "confuse or elude your neighbors"!!!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm not jjust going off of their posts, but that is the only info the average guy here can see. I get info from individuals living in Ontario, NY, MI and a bunch of places. Even watching the facebook posts of my hundreds of friends tells a story about where the ducks are in migration and who is killing what.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Haven't seen a crap load around our area of Lancaster county. Some here but here one day and gone the next. Kind of depressing actually!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I live in Rock Hall, on the water. I have a lot of places to hunt here too. I do most of my hunting in Pa. Thats how I fool my neighbors. Go figure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts