The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could try Joe's Tackle Unlimited in West Newton. He has been repairing reels at his Dad's business for a long time and should have the parts and experience. 412-735-9769 or

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I just cleaned 2 of mine up on Monday, bails weren't working right, cleaned and lubed both, solved my troubles. What is broken, what aren't they doing?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey buddy, I don’t know exactly what’s wrong. I have one that won’t reel clean, it gets jammed up and skips. The other I believe had the same issue, but I don’t remember. We used to have an old man who did our reel repair, but he has since passed. I’m about as handy as a sledgehammer so……

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I know it isn't everybody's favorite shot of whiskey but those little reels are simple and not too bad to repair. If you can't find a local guy I will give you a hand. I know it is the time of year they need to work so time is a factor too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I’m not getting to trout fish that much, I do have a back up 308 that I’ve been using. I’ve looked locally for awhile, If you could take a look at them, I would really appreciate it. I’m not sure when I’ll be headed North again, but I will definitely let you know.

The last time I was up, we went and checked out Woodcock creek. I used to fish it a lot when I was in school.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Lol, yeah Woodcock is not far at all, give me a shout when you come up I will get them in shape if I can, no problem.

Reactions: Jethro15

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Unfortunately I’m not getting to trout fish that much, I do have a back up 308 that I’ve been using. I’ve looked locally for awhile, If you could take a look at them, I would really appreciate it. I’m not sure when I’ll be headed North again, but I will definitely let you know.

The last time I was up, we went and checked out Woodcock creek. I used to fish it a lot when I was in school.
too bad im not closer to you. i have Mitchell 300 from way back in the 60's and they still work. i take them apart every couple years depending on how much use they get and clean and grease them. the 308 are simple to work on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the 50s and 60s my Dad caught a LOT of bass, stripers, perch, etc. in upper Chesapeake rivers with Mitchell 300s and CAPS. Initially and then yearly, he would remove the side plate and bail screw and pack the cavities with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. the reels always held up great and were smooth as silk.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Last year I took apart my 408 that I purchased new in the '70's. I never did a breakdown cleaning and it showed! The grease was more like hard crust. All cleaned up and packed with new grease and it works like the day I bought it!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Pappy's 308 broke bail springs so often he was able to change them without wading to the bank to do it...

Somehow, I doubt today's reels will last as long as those old Mitchel reels did

1 - 20 of 20 Posts