The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of heading out to Missouri to archery hunt this fall. I have never hunted out there but thinking of giving it a try. A group of us have hunted Ohio the past two years. Just looking for something new. Probably will hunt public land. Might have some private land to hunt, but will have to see if that pans out. Probably hunt the north east section of the state. Wondering if anyone who has huntered that region can tell me what the hunting pressure might be on public land. I know it is a big area, but just trying to get an idea of what to expect. thinking of going the week of nov. 11th. Might even stay for a couple days of riffle season but that would have to buy a riffle license. Been doing alot of searching online for info. about the public land. Nissouri detp. of conservation has been very helpful with info. Wondering where people stayed who hunted that region. State parks, cabins, motels, farm house. any info is appreciated. Not looking for someones honey hole. Just looking for info on loding and hunting pressure.

thanks
John

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have been hunting Missouri for a couple of years now but during rifle season. We did a lot of research and ended up leasing a farm. The area you want to hunt is expensive to lease and rifle hunted hard during rifle season but just explore. You have started at the right time to find information. Last thing it isn't PA totally different than even Ohio which I also hunt. Good luck!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I lived in that area for a couple years. I can get you started in the right direction. I am also in cotact with a CO from that district and I could see if he has any help for you. If you want PM me your number and I will give you a call. Ron

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses guys. I had the ohio trip all set up again this fall. rooms were booked. then i was on the web looking at missouri and it got me thinking. i figured what he heck, i'll give it a try. my brother just talked to his supervisor who lives out there and he invited us to hunt his 100 acres. dont think we will, he and his kid hunt their land. plus its in springfield. thats a really long haul from here. plus i want to hunt the northern part of the state. it would be nice to have some private land, maybe in the years to come if we can work out a lease or something. i actually don't mind hunting public land.

tahnks
John

·
Super Moderator
12,810 Posts
Hunted S/W Mo for a bout 8 years and took several nice Spring gobblers. Plan to go back some day....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have hunted in Scotland County quite a bit but always on private ground. I'm not really sure what public ground is there. I also hunted Putnam county and there is a large recreation area there that I belive called Rebel Cove.
http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=7944&txtAreaNm=s. I hunted a private farm there but the owners son hunted the public land there quite successfully - claimed there was little pressure and really good deer there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I know its probably not the area you want to hunt, but I hunted in the far SW corner of the state a couple of times. Not a lot of deer but there are some great bucks out there. No hunting pressure at all, at least during archery season on the public land that I hunted. PM if you need more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts