The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my only opportunity of the season this morning at a buck, only buck sighting I had for that matter. At about 6:50am a small five point came walking by my stand. He was legal but I elected not to shoot. I've killed enough small buck in the past.
At approximately 7:15am I let out a few tending grunts on my tube and immediately heard a deer trotting in my direction. Low and behold here comes a big eight point, wide with long tines. He stopped at what I thought was about 40yds and began sniffing the air and eyeballing the scene. He stood there for a good three or four minutes trying to scent whatever was making the noise. I had a feeling he was going to turn tail and go back the way he came. I should have been more patient, looking back now I think he would have worked his way closer to my stand. There was virtually no breeze and I was concealed adequately about 22 feet up in a pine tree.
I decided to shoot, right over his back

He trotted off out of my life probably forever. He would definitely have gone on my wall. Oh well that's hunting.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Beagler, don't feel too bad! I had the exact same happen to me last Friday on a wall hanger 8pt. I missed at 35 yards, due to some brush. The good news for me was, he never spooked. I watched him browse for another 10 minutes before he was out of sight. I don't know if I will see him again, but I will be in hot pursuit for the next week.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
It happens to the best of us sometimes. I missed a doe
yesterday and then got a decent 5 pointer. Also saw a 6
pointer after that!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Beagler, don't feel too bad, last year I drew back halfway on a nice 8 pt. and hit my release..."plink"

He eyballed me with a "what the heck was that?" look on his face as he trotted off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts