The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well tonight during a set i heard some coyotes serenade on the next farm over across the road from me about a 1/4 mile away. Gamelands border this farm and i have hunted it before so i figured next set that's where i'd be. I drove over walked in and set up on a high knoll and started calling. I was scanning about 2 minutes and suddenly came across a set of eyes and a coyote bounding to get downwind along a treeline about 100 yards below me, i had my gun set up on a shooting stick and when the dog stopped i squeezed the trigger, but when the gun fired i knew instantly i missed because my crosshairs were off by probably a foot. I continued to call as the other coyotes in the woods behind this one were barking and carrying on. about 30 seconds later another yote appears but this time through some thick stuff so i waited for a minute and he never came closer so i cracked another shot off but i missed him also. I dont think i will ever use a shooting stick again as for some reason my gun seems to sway when aiming and this is definatly why i missed, Not saying that i wouldn't have missed off hand but i really think i would have been better off without it. Just when you think your steady on your target all heck breaks loose and you sway around a foot or so.. Anybody else experience this problem with a single post shooting stick??

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had that problem to. So i went to the local hardware store and bought two. Dial rods. Put them together with a small bolt with a wing nut and put the camo cloth tape on them to help keep them quite. You can also put two small nails in the end to keep the sticks from slidding out all for about 5 bucks

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thats why..i went to the bipod..I've always gotten excited on shots..bipods are more steady and forgiving..i think...

G

·
0 Posts
Get one of these tripods and it will be hard to miss. Best piece of predator hunting equipment I own.
ewcalls.com

·
Registered
732 Posts
Can build the same setup from cabelas with a bog pod and the additional gun rest for half the price and its smaller/compact. That's what I'll be using next season

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just another idea that I am using for a bipod. Im sure that you have seen them In people's garbage as I have. If you see the fiberglass tent poles for supporting the nylon tents take the poles that have the bunji cords inside. They are usually 6-7ft long in sections held together with bunjis. Assemble the pole, take the tallest section off stretching the bunji and hold the stretched bunji in your hand . Then cut it and tie knots in it to increase the pressure on the bunji cord. You need to stretch the bunji cause they don't need much pressure to keep the tent poles together. Take the bunji out of one of the poles that are left and loop the bunji around the outside of the poles. Put pressure and loop 2-3 times around the poles, spread the poles and wrap the stretched bunji around itself to increase the tension. Tie it off. There you go. The bunji should be tied about head height. Two for a bi pod, three poles for a tripod. The sections come apart so you can vary the height that way.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use wooden ones from hunters specialty, two legs with a rubber top peice I slid the forend of the gun into. with these you feel like you benchrest shooting, they run about 10$. I also do not halfto hold my gun while calling I just keep it shouldered so I can lean into the scope without moving.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
....try fiberglass electric fence poles instead of wood rods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts