The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I had a buck of a life time within range. As I prepared to shoot a drone came out of nowhere and chased it away......why me. It then flew over to my buddy and harassed him.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All joking aside can you legally shoot it down. It’s my buddies farm.
Probably not. But there are hunter harrassment laws that I'm certain would apply to this situation. If you know whose running the drone you can have them cited..... years back over in Jersey a fisherman was getting buzzed by a remote control plane on the Assunpink, which had a plane area at the time, still might, but a duck hunter shot the plane down and nothing came of it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
17,198 Posts
if you shoot it down and the owner files a complaint, they are essentially telling on themselves too. how much is the fine for buzzing a person with a drone ?

what if it gets close enough to make you fall out of the tree ? i think being buzzed is a serious threat to your safety and a person should be allowed to defend themselves in such a situation. can the drone operator tell how close they are ? i dont think so. how close does it have to be before a person feels threatened.

i was walking around the community park one day a few years ago when a drone started following me. i spotted the person next to a baseball dugout and told them if they keep it up we are going to have a discussion. i started walking that way. the drone and person left the park. i expected the psp to arrive, their is a barracks pretty close. nothing happened.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Chester Farmer, All things considered you should give the Game Warden a call and at the very least report it. Bohunr has a an important point to consider, should this idiot manage to catch you off guard the situation could be construed as reckless endangerment as well as hunter harrassment. Just saying.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If it is hunter harassment, they can be prosecuted!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Gather whatever evidence you can, video of the drone flying near you, pic or video that can identify the drone model, pic/video of the person/license plate, if it is not the landowner contact the landowner and inform them that there is illegal activity on their property.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
872 Posts
Tonight I had a buck of a life time within range. As I prepared to shoot a drone came out of nowhere and chased it away......why me. It then flew over to my buddy and harassed him.
So as someone who owns and flies a drone I have a couple questions,

1. What kind of terrain were you in? (Field edge, middle of the woods, etc.)

2. Were you in camo or did you have orange on?

3. Did it fly right to you or was it flying around then went down to you?

4. What did it do while it was there? Simply fly around slowly or make fast erratic movements? And how close did it get?

5. Did it try to follow the deer or simply hang out by you and did it fly directly to your buddy or did it fly around a bit then go to him?

The thing is depending upon how the drone was flying around can give you an idea of the operators intentions. For those that don’t know most drones have little to no zoom capability so the only way to see what something is is to fly close to it. Additionally the video sent back to the pilot is significantly degraded from what the drone actually records, for example my drone records videos in 4K but my video feed is only 720p. I have two photos below for reference. As you can see the first one is crystal clear while the other one is much blurrier and harder to distinguish smaller features.

B73D70D4-02CB-42E6-8600-9AA5E91688D0_1571806503858.jpg

C05009A0-2CF4-4C4B-96C4-81C3B7EC4EB9_1571806529683.jpeg

As far as he knew you could have been a blob in a tree that he was looking at until he got close enough to realize you are a person and it simply happened to be at the worst time but it’s hard to say without additional info.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts