The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I had the perfect setup and multiple gobblers on the roost. Long story short, they flew down, the hen brought them right too me and I missed.

Will they remember?
Will they come back?
How long should I wait?
Should I set up in the same area?

Been doing this a lot of years (30+) and this is my first miss.

A few memories from the morning:
Flydown:

The big miss:

Thanks.

Reactions: bigguy54

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try to make a perfect setup and shot next time...
Yeah, I rushed it because a hen to my right was getting antsy. rookie mistake for sure.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
way to much brush in the way.
Yeah, I should have let him come out further. Got nervous trying to self-film and with the hens around.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
you should see some of the mistakes i made.

the best one is where i finally get a gobbler in close. i was so excited, i looked over the top of the shotgun to watch the gobbler and shot a very nice hole in the ground.

:)

go after that bird from a different direction with a different call...you'll get him.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Turkeys have no ability to reason.I've called in birds many times that were shot at at and even hit the day before.My neighbor missed two big longbeards saturday morning right behind my barn.He went back around 10:30,put the same three cheesy featherflex decoys up and the same two birds walked right up to him in the same place.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leave the camera in your gear bag and take pictures after the deed is done. :grin2:
Having way too much filming the last few years. After 3 years, got my first successful bowhunt on film last fall.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Those are very good videos... and you've missed 1 time in 30 years? God bless you. Anyway - more cowbell is the only answer. You just have to go hunt them again the next day and the day after.

Reactions: Pops423

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are very good videos... and you've missed 1 time in 30 years? God bless you. Anyway - more cowbell is the only answer. You just have to go hunt them again the next day and the day after.
yeah had to happen sooner or later. Honeslty over the years I've called in more birds for others than I've shot myself.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Depending on pressure, if you stayed still and quiet after the miss, those birds will likely return in a few days. Try again and let them come clear next time.

way to much brush in the way.
Yep. Lots of people get lured into the “it’s a shotgun” mindset and think that pellet volume will reliably overcome obstructions. The only miss I have in recent memory was a stable shot at close range through brush. Never again.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Pops they will be back, last season we shot a bird 3 days in a row from the same spot and they came in from the same direction, looks like there was a lot of brush between you and the bird. Set up close to that same area but with a more open view, You will get him, good luck and let us know how your hunt went...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts