The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TWICE! Dumb doe even stood around long enough to let reload, and shoot again. I thought I had hit her the first shot, and she only took a step or two. The second shot There was a bit of limbs in the way, but wanted to put her down. At the second shot 2 does just trotted off like nothing was wrong. Went to look around, and nothing again.

I guess I'm just not meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have one of those in...Hmmmm. I did have a 200gr hollow point though.

I told my wife it must be a bad luck gun, and that I should get a new one. Hey, that is what I was going with. It didn't work though. Said I should learn how to shoot. She is so cruel.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TusseyMtMan said:
You must not be keeping your head down or have a severe flinch. Focus on those issues.
Oh I have issues, but not sure those are it

I don't think I flinched. The second shot maybe, but not the first. The second shot had a bit of a delay. For the most part my gun goes bang when you pull the trigger every time. Most times it's insant. The gun fires everytime without fail. In practice I can normally get over 10 shots off without even so much as a cleaning patch. I've only done it a couple times just to see how many shots I could get off before a misfire.

Could it be me? Sure. It's not like I get easy shots though. They are alway on the far edge of muzzleloader range, thick brush or something.

I guess I will just have to keep trying.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
Said I should learn how to shoot. She is so cruel.
I have to wonder....could a "wife" have made a factual statement! This could be a first and it happened right here on HPA.com.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Hey Hunt/fish, don't get to down. I've been doing this for a long time, and only killed a couple deer. I keep trying though! I went out yesterday and sat in my blind for about 3 hours. About 4:30 had a couple doe come in and mill around at about 40 yards out. I setteled in on one, pulled the trigger, and click. No burn, no boom, just a click. Not sure what happened, but the deer didn't stick around to see how things were going to turn out. If it quits raining, I may hit it again this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dogface said:
hunt/fish365 said:
Said I should learn how to shoot. She is so cruel.
I have to wonder....could a "wife" have made a factual statement! This could be a first and it happened right here on HPA.com.
Funny. I'm seeing what you are saying. It doesn't happen very often. Actually it's quite rair.

In my defence I've heard of bad luck guns before. I know a couple guys that swear it's the gun and not them. They say these guns are not capable of hitting anything other than paper. That if you shoot at a deer it will miss every time, but other guns will result in a sure kill. I think that this might just be that case. Again, that is what I'm going with. My 243 results in a kill every time I touch the trigger. That gun I will say is lucky. I wish my muzzleloader was as lucky as that gun.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just to make sure , in case you have not done it already.
Fire them on a range from a rest during a time when it is cold outside like this time of year.
Just in case you are having the same problem I once had.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually shoot that gun everytime I hunt with it. I don't like keeping a loaded gun around so I shoot it at the end of the day. It shoots fine.

The opperator on the other hand could use some help.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Heck, who hasnt missed? Look at it this way, you got the thrill of seeing/aiming/shooting ect. Now you get to go out deer hunting again.

Bet the next one wont be so lucky.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
TWICE! Dumb doe even stood around long enough to let reload, and shoot again. I thought I had hit her the first shot, and she only took a step or two. The second shot There was a bit of limbs in the way, but wanted to put her down. At the second shot 2 does just trotted off like nothing was wrong. Went to look around, and nothing again.

I guess I'm just not meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader.
Been there and done that - check out my name. Wife harrasses me too. I now practice shooting a lot more - it helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts