The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly certain I was never meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader. I got up around 4:30, and was out by 6. I only went a little bit when It came to me that the batteries in my flashlight were toast. I just changed them a couple weeks ago, and never used it since. I stood in the dark for about a half hour till I could see to walk in the woods. As soon as it got light out it started to rain. I sheltered the powder pan as best I could with my hat under my arm. Everthing looked fine when it was done raining, but water would fall from the trees when a gust of wind would come through.

I decided to go for a short walk to where I have seen deer in the past. I got settled in, and was just watching squirrels for a little while when I saw the back of a deer going the wrong way. I reached into my backpack as I thought what the heck, and tipped the can a few times. With in a minute or so I could see it coming my way. Decent size doe...She stepped into a small window and BOOM. Nothing. She just stood there. I reloaded as fast as I could, and took aim. Click. Nothing. I cocked the hammer again, settled the sights at center of mass and BOOM. The woods were full of smoke, and I could see nothing. I thought I had her, and she was just laying there. Wrong. I hit the side of a tree low, and took off a branch high.

Guess I'll have to try again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
what fun is it if you hit what your aimin at or your gun dosnt go off??
my fav is when i miss and the deer stands there the whol time im realoding and just as i go to prime the pan.. it runs. im headin out in a few maybe get one this evening.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Your day will come ! Face down on the stock, concentrate HARD on your front bead, fixate on it like its the size of a basketball, squeeeeeeze!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Hang in there Hunt/Fish. I once missed nine in a row (for various stupid reasons). In the real life situations, I sometimes I struggle to "follow through" on the shot. Like Joe said concentrate on the front bead. Aim small, miss small. Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
904 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I'm fairly certain I was never meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader. I got up around 4:30, and was out by 6. I only went a little bit when It came to me that the batteries in my flashlight were toast. I just changed them a couple weeks ago, and never used it since. I stood in the dark for about a half hour till I could see to walk in the woods. As soon as it got light out it started to rain. I sheltered the powder pan as best I could with my hat under my arm. Everthing looked fine when it was done raining, but water would fall from the trees when a gust of wind would come through.

I decided to go for a short walk to where I have seen deer in the past. I got settled in, and was just watching squirrels for a little while when I saw the back of a deer going the wrong way. I reached into my backpack as I thought what the heck, and tipped the can a few times. With in a minute or so I could see it coming my way. Decent size doe...She stepped into a small window and BOOM. Nothing. She just stood there. I reloaded as fast as I could, and took aim. Click. Nothing. I cocked the hammer again, settled the sights at center of mass and BOOM. The woods were full of smoke, and I could see nothing. I thought I had her, and she was just laying there. Wrong. I hit the side of a tree low, and took off a branch high.

Guess I'll have to try again.
The click is what makes Flintlock hunting so great. I think if they wne toff all the time like an inline it would take some (OK most) of the good stories that I have told and heard. Also the pooooooof nothing is also a great feeling when the deer is standing broadside at 20 yards, or they come running past you and you think you need to shoot right now so bang (of course you missed and they stop and look at you for what seems like an eternity then trot off.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gotta say that I know it's me. I know I could have got a scoped inline, and had her the first shot. That would have taken all the fun out of it for me.

After I got home I called my grandfather that can't hunt much at all anymore to tell him what happened. He laughed,and we told the same dumb stories over again as to our misses we've made over the years with our flintlocks. The last year we hunted muzzleloader together he put on a "great new flint", and it went CLICK seven times before the deer ran off. Or the time he tried to reload really fast on a nice buck in the late season, and dumped most of the powder on the ground. Of course the ball didn't even make it to the deer. All it had was enough to get the ball out the barrel.

I missed a few last year. Couple of them were like..What the heck just happened there? I get frustrated sometimes. I get mad at myself for a little bit for missing the easy shots. I'm just glad I didn't wound anything that I couldn't find.

I was talking with my neighber last night. He got a doe last year in the late season. I was telling him how frustrated I was, and he said "don't worry about it. I missed 13 that day befor I got the one I did".

I'm gonna get out again on Monday afternoon. Taking the flintlock of course. Maybe I'll get lucky, and have one get close enough that I can put powder burns on her side?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
yep i missed one at 40 yards last night laying on my belly steady as a rock. I miss the first shot every year. doesn't matter how much i practice the flash gets me the first time everytime.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to wonder how the first settlers that came to America didn't starve to death? If I had to live off of what I shot with a muzzleloader I would be a lot thinner than I am.

Could that have been the start of vegetarianism??

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Squirrel hunting with a muzzy helped me tremendously!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have a 130" 8point on the wall that I missed off hand @ 40 yards. He stood and watched me load then ran to 70 yards and stopped broadside, another offhand shot and he went down. That was my last fl kill and the tag says it was 1999.

Hunt/fish your reference to your grandfather brought back a Flood of memories (Thanks by the way). I lost my grandfather in 1990 at the age of 86 he was my best friend, hunting buddy, and thought me lots about the woods, and life. However he thought I was the stupidest person on the face of the earth for hunting with a flinter. After discussing it with him I understood that he had observed the evolution of arms progress and couldn't understand why anyone would go back. It's great to hear you enjoy the good times with him even though he can't be in the woods!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i redeemed myself this morning. sneaking along 2 doe snorted at me in the brush and another stood there facing me first shot the pan went off but no bang so i reloaded the pan and boom. she only sent about 10 yards and piled up shot straight through the heart. I have shot 3 doe with the flintlock on the second day 3 years in a row now within the same 10 square yard area

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh..just pour some salt in the wound

I tried to redeem myself this afternoon, but I didn't see anything. I won't be able to go again till Saturday.

·
Banned
268 Posts
My uncle did worse he missed the same deer 12 times and never hit it. The deer finally just walked off. So don't feel bad about missing only twice.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I dont know about you guys but EVERY TIME i seem to get a decent buck close enough to shoot at with my flinter it has to be in the middle of january's version of hurricane Irene... No less than my last 4 shots at bucks in flint season have been in the middle of rainstorms and the result was either no flash or a complete miss

·
Registered
400 Posts
A couple of years ago I shot a fox right through the heart at 25 yards in the AM on a wet snowy day. I must have gotten cocky because later that day I missed a huge 8 pointer at 35 yards by a mile. I got the dreaded delay in the pan and my head went up like a gophers' and it went off with my cheek about 6 inches from the stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts