The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Not sure this is something to brag about. While misses can happen to anyone,You can't practice too much. If you are missing , a good question to ask yourself would be why did I miss and how can I improve myself for the next opportunity. I practice my "shots" by holding my rifle and "shooting" the screws on my switch plates .Of course this is with an unloaded rifle. You can set the triggers and pull them while the hammer is all the way down in the pan. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Where in Rednecks statement did he brag about missing? I would like to think that we all strive to be ethical hunters and as profficient as possible with the weapons we take to the field. I can sit in my basement and dry fire at screws on the wall all day but when that deer steps out I gotta admit I get a little excited. When I stop getting excited I will give up hunting. I may flinch a bit and it was really wet and snowy this year so I had a few hang fires and a few misses. The more important question is did the hunter do all they could to make sure it was a clean miss? We owe that to the animals. There are enough folks out there that want to demonize the sport and what we do lets not do it to ourselves.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
sparkchaser said:
Not sure this is something to brag about. While misses can happen to anyone,You can't practice too much. If you are missing , a good question to ask yourself would be why did I miss and how can I improve myself for the next opportunity. I practice my "shots" by holding my rifle and "shooting" the screws on my switch plates .Of course this is with an unloaded rifle. You can set the triggers and pull them while the hammer is all the way down in the pan. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post.
I dont think this thread is about bragging but data collecting so as to gain a better insight to next years hunt. That said this thread should go on as posted and let people post honestly that they do indeed miss. I hate the fact that these so called TV shows with hunters who never miss and harvest nothing but trophies set all hunters up as one shot one kill --ALWAYS! It simply isnt true in 99 percent of cases of those of us being truely honest. Yes there are those who rarely miss and practice alot. At one point I fit that category. I still practice alot but have missed in recent years. Ive missed once with the bow, Ive missed several times with my flintlock, but Ive never missed with a centerfire. I never take the centerfires out of the safe now and hunt strictly with bow and flintlock. Why? Because the fun I have afield. Once the fun stops then I will stop --including the money spent on all such products connected to the sport and that my friend Im sure goes for a good many of us. We all here try to be as ethical as possible-----I doubt that all hunters over the hundreds of years were 100% successful---Let the post run and others I hope are as honest as to their misses and why they missed....Me I had shadows blocking out sapling in the way---simple as that,,,,,,,time to buy a brush hog and cut down future forests!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Missed once at 70 yds freehand and was able to connect on a nice doe at 60 yds propped on a tree. I know.....I cheated!

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Bunky said:
sparkchaser said:
I dont think this thread is about bragging but data collecting so as to gain a better insight to next years hunt. That said this thread should go on as posted and let people post honestly that they do indeed miss. I hate the fact that these so called TV shows with hunters who never miss and harvest nothing but trophies set all hunters up as one shot one kill --ALWAYS! It simply isnt true in 99 percent of cases of those of us being truely honest. Yes there are those who rarely miss and practice alot. At one point I fit that category. I still practice alot but have missed in recent years. Ive missed once with the bow, Ive missed several times with my flintlock, but Ive never missed with a centerfire. I never take the centerfires out of the safe now and hunt strictly with bow and flintlock. Why? Because the fun I have afield. Once the fun stops then I will stop --including the money spent on all such products connected to the sport and that my friend Im sure goes for a good many of us. We all here try to be as ethical as possible-----I doubt that all hunters over the hundreds of years were 100% successful---Let the post run and others I hope are as honest as to their misses and why they missed....Me I had shadows blocking out sapling in the way---simple as that,,,,,,,time to buy a brush hog and cut down future forests!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
missed twice had a doe ataround 15yrds thouht this is in the bag yea right MISSED she stood and watched me reload started to put powder in the pan and she walked away

·
Registered
465 Posts
I swear the flintlock is just something special. You can have a group of deer and they hear the bang see the cloud of smoke and then some actually walk closer to see what the heck is that loud smoking thing in winter camo leaning against that tree? I am sure some on here have had the experience of trying to reload as a deer is walking closer to them when the first shot that missed was only at 50 yds. I missed five times this year in one day. Scored on shot #6 the next day the last day of the season.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Buck Rub said:
I swear the flintlock is just something special. You can have a group of deer and they hear the bang see the cloud of smoke and then some actually walk closer to see what the heck is that loud smoking thing in winter camo leaning against that tree? I am sure some on here have had the experience of trying to reload as a deer is walking closer to them when the first shot that missed was only at 50 yds. I missed five times this year in one day. Scored on shot #6 the next day the last day of the season.

I've experienced this the last two years. You shoot at them and they move alittle bit and allow you to reload and shooto again. They don't do that when I shoot at them with centerfires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
2 times last day. first after sitting for 3 hours getting down and 5 steps later 4 doe came up valley missed at 50 yards they all watched until I reloaded then disappeared. 2nd shot was about 4 pm two buck ran to my stand fired buck dropped got up as I reloaded and slowly walked away never got another shot tracked him about 1000 yds one drop of blood every 12 ft must of hit him across the top of his spine never found him think he is still walking

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I failed to fire a shot all season and have the three .535 roundballs to prove it; the one I pulled after the early season, the one after rifle season, and the one pulled last week after flintlock season. No matter, each outing spent with family and friends was enjoyable as always.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have to say I have Never missed any shot while I was hunting . I like to put in a lot of bench time and if I think I might miss the trigger will not get pulled . There are to many accidents in the woods and if some one where to get hurt from what I do I would not be able handle it . I am not bragging I just like good safety . My dad shot my grandma in the leg once hunting rabbit with a 22 . She was ok but it hung on him till the day he died .

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
My first shot this season was at one in cover after I shot they ran off and I scoured the area for sign and their was none.Then on the 2nd week,I shot at one in and watched it as it ran off.When I went to scour the area for sign I found where my r/ball made a tracer streak in the snow.I shot low.That was early in the week.Then guess what.On the end of the season,I seen one come in stumblin and favoring it,s front leg.I naled em on a neck shot.It was the exact same deer that I shot at earlier in the week.It,s hoof had a perfect round hole from my r/ball.It had become infected and was swelled twice it,s size.I was happy cause that deer was really in pain.It was the same one,I am sure of it.It was a buck that had already lost his antlers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts