The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've really slacked this year on getting photos. Between our one year old son and loosing my 3 1/2 year old lab to cancer I just haven't even been in the mood to go out with the guys and the dogs.

Today the conditions seemed miserable for rabbits. The winds blowing and it snowed a fresh 3" from 5:00am-10-00am. And yet grandma had offered to watch the little dude at the beginning of the week already (and was looking forward to it) so out I went with the pooches, my husband, and my father in law.

At breakfast was the landowner for the place we planned on hunting, so we gave him a heads up and he said there was already people walking the farm already. Bad conditions just got worse! Bummer, but by the time we got there they were gone so we thought shoot, we will give it a go.

We did not limit out but I sure was proud of the dogs. They ran three and the guys each got one. I didn't get any shooting but to be honest I was enjoying being out of the house and wasn't trying very hard!
Like I said the conditions were terrible but the dogs tried very hard, the young dog who I haven't gotten out like I should have so far was super impressive today, she is my energizer beagle, and she especially was really working the stickers. I honestly didn't think we would see any action at all! Walking around none of us crossed rabbit tracks (until after the dogs started sounding off) so they sure were sitting tight.

Not the best bag we ever had, but one of the better hunts I've seen the dogs put on in a while. It was a fun morning for sure.

Thanks Joe (huntin54) for selling me the young dog (the lighter of the two) she's really working out well for us and she is just what I wanted.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timberdoodle said:
very nice hunt...It's good to get out whether or not you shoot..just clears the head!!
It sure is and does. Plus I ALWAYS take pictures when I go. The older darker beagle is going on 6 years old this year, 6 years of nagging and countless rabbits in the freezer and I still can't get my husband to take photos of 'her kills'. Lol. He just never remembers.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
WTG! Looks like a good day and good looking dogs

A few farms I hunt have lots of rabbits but just cant get my self out there to hunt them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huntin54 said:
Congrats on the hunt.

Glad she's working out.
Yes we are very happy!
We might move her outside come spring and warm weather. She's a lot of beagle energy inside. If we do I might be calling you to see if you know of any 13" females around 2-3 years old for sale so she has a friend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts