The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving my muzzleloader a thorough cleaning this year after the standard water flush and cleaning swabs. I've always ended up with clean patches. This time I decided to go with a foaming bore cleaner....treatment #4 And still getting some black patches out of it in certain areas down the bore....surprising. is that indicative of anything? The areas don't feel rough or anything.

I also see some mild pitting with rust dust I call it. Not in the rifling grooves but the flat spots. I know once there they are there. Do I need to get rid of it and really work the barrel? Or do best I can , oil up and accept. It is a shooter with rust nicks and scratches etc. Not a safe queen.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If its a shooter, I would not mess with it, if you feel like you need to,I would do a little bit of JB Paste to shine the bore up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a shooter ...tree bark and jagger scrapes for sure. I should continue to use the bore blaster to get all the stuff out? If it's still coming out here or there that's still not good?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely a shooter ...tree bark and jagger scrapes for sure. I should continue to use the bore blaster to get all the stuff out? If it's still coming out here or there that's still not good?
You never mentioned what you used prior to protect that barrel.

JB Paste when used correctly and that's with oil, will remove those rusty trace amounts. Also, are you using a brass bore brush? If so, change to black nylon. I found the brass ones keep producing black patches, no matter if I use 189 patches or five.

That barrel (lands & grooves) needs to be completely dry when adding butter or oil to protect it. If bathing that barrel, you don;t need real hot water. Just warm tap water works just as well and won't flash-rust the bore like real hot water does.

Most everyone seems to think that the only way to remove old, crusty butter from the grooves and burnt, crusty powder from the bolster drum is real-hot water....... Not true!

So in starting from square-1, what protectant have you been using?

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Muzzys are not real fussy about a perfect bore.
I'd scrub the bore with a jag,oil,and 0000 steel wool.Wash it good with soap and water.For rust prevention I use Ballistol.

Corrosion Prevention - Second Round

Don't worry,with the proper patch,ball and powder combo you will get less than 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been cleaning with soapy warm water and clean water. Flush flush. Then using my traditions orange cleaner until clean and then a dry patch. Hair dryer to make sure its all dry.
Then a coating of light oil...rem oil or break free.all over and inside to keep rust at bay. I did the bore butter one year but then hear bad things about that holding moisture. Gun will be in a safe with dehumidifier in it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Honestly, who sees inside your bore? If its a shooter, I'd clean it the best I could, then lube it up with break free or other such solvent when storing the gun to prevent rust ,and leave it alone. Do you really need a mirror bright bore? No. As long as the bore isn't horribly rusted out or pitted so bad that patches won't come out unless ripped to shreds I'd not be overly concerned about it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that's kind of my question...I mean I know rust is bad, so should I be really trying to get those dots out of there or oil over it and the oil keeps it at bay so to speak? Im still foam cleaning the barrel, and on on side of the patch im still getting some black so I think some of the grooves are not clean. I've rotated the barrel so the foam gets around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The rust in the pit-hollows will go bye-bye using Evapo-Rust. Might even disappear using JB Bore Paste. Always use as directed on the label.

You then-want a bore rust protector that will not run or dry-out. If you get the rust out of that barrel, (never mind the micro pits) then come back here for a suggestion on keeping that bore protected 24/7 and rust-free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well the thread-starter seems more concerned about rust than the micro pits. So that's where I was aiming my helping hand in replies.
You seem more concerned / interested in the pitting. So tell the thread-starter what works best for you in alleviating those hollows.

Wait - that's why you show up in threads like this. To sell your website products.

OK.... give him your best sell-job then.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any experienced shooter knows that pitting is not good, even micro pitting. It leads to bigger problems down the road. So long over at my place btw. Your 4 shots per year that you fire shows your experience i guess.

As you should know from experience, bore butter failed you and left you with rust and pitting. You fail to take advice and preach poor views. Black MZ better than blackhorn209... waugh! pilgrim, shoot that crud over a chronograph and report back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any experienced shooter knows that pitting is not good, even micro pitting. It leads to bigger problems down the road. So long over at my place btw. Your 4 shots per year that you fire shows your experience i guess.

As you should know from experience, bore butter failed you and left you with rust and pitting. You fail to take advice and preach poor views. Black MZ better than blackhorn209... waugh! pilgrim, shoot that crud over a chronograph and report back.
I haven't even touched bore butter in over 20 years.
Blackhorn clogs my breechplug and Blue(not black) MZ doesn't.
Blackhorn only spits out 460gr conicals out of my bore and Blue MZ doesn't
Blackhorn is harder to ignite than Blue MZ
Blackhorn costs 35% more (shots fired) than Blue MZ.

But wait, you are the guy that countlessly has endorsed American Pioneer. Congrats for being the only long-time seasoned veteran shooter that still does. Now why would anyone heed your advice on powders after reading that?

If you keep following me around boards, I'll keep exposing you for seeking to sell your own personal items on ML messageboards and not paying these sites advertising fees.

So please..... go away and follow someone else's posts. Otherwise, I'll report you every chance I get and this will become another ML messageboard that bans you from posting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keep following you around?!!! LMAO wow you are a very funny guy. With all 27 posts on here over a 2 year period. I've been on here since the mid 2000s before asking to have my user name deleted.

Keep shooting your imr whitehots.... i mean blue mz pellets....

I see your posts on huntingnet and how you think T7 and BH209 are poor performers. That alone tells me a LOT about your experience.

Every chronograph Black MZ or your rebadged IMR Whitehots ( blue mz )? Be honest.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soooooooooo........there is something I can run in to neutralize the rust, then oil over, preservative, and keep things at bay? I know the pits aren't great but I know I don't want rust to run rampant.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Baking soda & water will stop rust. Its what I use when I rust brown a barrel. After that, flush with water, dry it, denatured alcohol to remove all traces of water, then use your favorite gun oil or lube in the bore to seal it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts