The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to be a good year for mink here in SE.I have also seen coyotes right here in my neiborhood (district 12).Has anyone else seen or caught any yote in district 12

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
OH YEAH coyotes! Got em bad this year. My dad shot one opening day at home in Bucks Co. I missed 2 during archery. 3 Saturdays in a row during archery I saw anywhere from 1-4 in one morning. Even in the broad day light. I was seening coyotes around 10-11am!!!! However, I (just me) haven't seen a mink at home. This late season I will really be trapping for them hard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah,finally getting in to them after a few years learning and a lot of dvd's .yote still harder then mink though.too many fox here (dist 12)to target the yote.my place up north is different.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mink.floating cage traps on major creeks and rivers seem to be the ticket.No need for digging or finding bridges.Muskrat works.Use camo traps though they are too visible otherwise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nitefox - Floating cage traps, never thought you could catch a mink in a cage trap let alone a floating one. Sounds like an interesting set up. How about letting me ride along with you one day so that I can see this interesting set up first hand?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most guys use leg holds or conibears.I got bored with that and frustrated so i put 14months into this method and a lot of spring and summer work.youtube "floating mink cages".set foats up in september no cage.have many mink on my trail cams standing on the floats

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
model 1084 one door havahart 24 x 7. 17 x 7 too shallow for big mink.sprayed brown (camo). 7 x 7 keeps coon out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xtrainer, you must not use the two door ones (too much metal visible) so says the biologist thats helping me with this project.Another good tip he gave me is check in the evening.Mink run in the early daylight hours even till 9 am or so.Many mink have been missed due to the trapper showing up the same time as the mink.I leave my house around 7:30 pm and check that way every 24 hours.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nitefox I looked at the you tube videos as you suggested (very interesting concept) but I would like to see this set up in action first hand. How about that ride along so I can see how you do it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uh yeah.I i told you to pm me with name and phone so you could ride with me friday night or saturday? did you get that message.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brookie ...this is your 6th question on this post.I offered to let you come with me to show you this method.I sent you a private message for you to give me your name and # but you have not answered.Whats up?I trap the Perkiomen creek and the lower part of the skippack creek if you are curious.I did real well this year.11 mink (17 days) and 6 muskrats which i was shocked at.They say the population is dead.Where are you from?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts