The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is a habitat question but I think it is.

Does anyone supply minerals to their deer? If so what do you use?

I have used that Deer Cane by my trail cams but is that a decent source of minerals?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Minerals supplied thru supplements hasn't really been proven to be beneficial, according to studies.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Studies schmudies. who cares what them there scientistis say. I dont think that is what he asked though. Yes, alot of people on here put out minerals. I use a bunch of different stuff trying to figure out what i like. This year im using the mineral block from Tractor Suppy and Whitetail Inst 30.06 protein plus at my sites. I have used deer cane before and they absolutely loved it. The main attractant in all these is of course the salt. Check your bag and see if it contains trace minerals and the main stuff is calcium and phosphorous but these are not needed in large quantities. 99% is going to be salt. Deer get most of what they need from the food they eat just like us. but the occasional vitamin doesnt hurt. and the salt helps them digest in theory.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
i use the penn state salt mix.1 part di cal,1 part livestock salt,2 parts mineral salt.mix and dump ono old stump. lots cheaper than those "store bought"stuff and they hit it hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts