The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone uses? Blocks? Name brand mixes like deer Cocaine or home mixes?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Minerals, in general, don't do much according to many "experts". Mostly it is the salt that draws them.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Doesn't salt help deer and other ruminants digest the forage they consume? Why then are there livestock/cattle blocks?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Look at a study that Penn State did quite a few years ago with their deer herd. A salt mixture with Di-Cal added 10 lbs. to the deer and added one more point to the antlers, as compared to the deer that didn't receive it. The Di-calcium Phosphate had to be less than 50% of the mix, or the deer would not eat it.
Mix 2/3 trace mineral salt and 1/3 Di-cal together for the best mix.
The only purpose of the salt was to get the deer to eat the Di-cal.
"Trace"-mineral is just that. A trace of minerals.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great explanation. PA-Guy. We use mag. oxide for us. Have not done research for a college but have used this in our trace mineral licks for 7 yrs with great success.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I put out deer cane gel to get them to come to a specific location and then I put a trophy rock there after about 3 weeks. They keep coming back day after day.
I like the rock because it last a long long time. They'll lick that rock smooth after a week or two.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use 1 part DI-cal, 1 part feed grade salt,1 part trace mineral.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here is the "recipe" from Penn State. I have used it and as recommended on the bottom the butterscotch pudding does the trick. WAY better than vanilla.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate (Di-Cal), this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Helpful hints: One is best time to put it out is March/April and I put all 200 lbs in one hole. Also I like a water source to be within 100 yards.

I also put a box of butterscotch pudding in my mix. I was always told that vanilla lures them in, but butterscotch pudding is what they got a hankerin' for, fellers. It helps make the dical palatable. I do make a vanilla curiosity lure that brings 'em in during the early days, but you have to put other stuff in it to seal the deal under your tree stand.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Newport-Bill,
When was the last time you paid that for the Di-cal and TM Salt?????????
Those prices are about 10 years old!!!

The prices have been climbing over the years. This year is ridiculous, however, it's still worth the price.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can you give me the link to that study. I have read some but haven't
seen that one, I use Rack dust a fella from Carnige Pa came up with
the mix after alot of research and testing. Great stuff. I use alot of it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry - that was a cut/paste from when I first copied the article it was printed it. The only part that is truly mine are the sentences at the beginning before the ALL CAPS part.

I think it was about $60 when I made it last year.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Newport-Bill said:
Sorry - that was a cut/paste from when I first copied the article it was printed it. The only part that is truly mine are the sentences at the beginning before the ALL CAPS part.

I think it was about $60 when I made it last year.
Yes, I think I paid about $65.00 the last time.
I used to mix it for about $15.00.
50lb. bag of di-cal, 80 lb. bag of TM Salt.
No need for anything else to sweeten it up.

A friend had out just TM Salt. He made another lick about 6 feet away, using this mix.
They never touched the plain TM salt one again.
They seem to know that it is good for them.

If you want to add anything to it to "sweeten" it, use feed grade molasses. (It comes in a dry form.)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
plotplant'ndude said:
Can you give me the link to that study. I have read some but haven't
seen that one, I use Rack dust a fella from Carnige Pa came up with
the mix after alot of research and testing. Great stuff. I use alot of it.
It's been about 15 years or so, but I'll look around for the documents I got from them.

The Di-calcium phosphate is the key to the supplement.
ie., Bone growth material.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Newport-Bill,
The last few lines of your origninal post confused me. You know it's illegal to have these minerals and their remnants under your tree stand, right?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The last few lines were about a curiousity scent that he makes for archery season. I dont think those are illegal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
See my post from 05/14/10 04:55 PM above. The bulk of the note is cut/pasted from the original article. My only two lines are the top two. The line about the curosity scent and "sealing the deal" are from the ORIGINAL ARTICLE which was not mine.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No problem. I just know a lot of people don't realize that if they have a salt lick out all summer, every summer, just because they remove it in September they don't realize it's still a baited area and they can be fined.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
jayjaysin said:
No problem. I just know a lot of people don't realize that if they have a salt lick out all summer, every summer, just because they remove it in September they don't realize it's still a baited area and they can be fined.
Can this discussion ever be had without some law dog chiming in? Putting out minerals off season is perfectly legal. Lets end it there.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would have never said a word except the last few words of his post suggested he placed it under his treestand!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts