The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted a recipe for Creamed Beef on Toast (SOS) and it got me remembering the chow I had while in the USMC. Frankly I don't recall ever having really bad chow; surely though there was some times when the pork chops could be used to retread a tank track and once in a while chicken was served that I swear still had feathers on it and Marine Corps cooks put pepper on every*******thing. With that said I recall that the best chow I had was when I was TDY at Norfolk and ate in a USN Mess and then at Henderson Hall where we had access to the USA Mess at Fort Meyer. But no chow ever was better than at a field mess after a forced march with the cake under the spaghetti all piled up in a meat can. Yummy.....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Other than beans for breakfast in the Navy boot camp, I always had good food. When we were at sea, we had steak and lobster on Fridays, no one lost weight on board my ship, except one idiot who went on a hunger strike to try to get kicked out of the Navy.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
When I was in the Air Force we always had good meals. I was in six years and never had any chow complaints even when on TDY or in the field.
When I was in the Army its was a different story. Most of the time the meals were not good and very often there was not enough of it. Of course that depended a lot on where you were.

·
Super Moderator
27,196 Posts
I can't recall if the food was good or bad in AF Basic. Just that there was food and we didn't have much time to eat it. I seem to recall eating a heck of a lot of mashed potatoes. And that dang mandatory two glasses of water with each meal!
After basic and tech school I lived off base, so the only time I ate in the chow hall was when we were TDY to locations that didn't have any other options.
I love SOS, so I'll have to check out that recipe.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
We had the best food in the Coast Guard... Steaks on the back of the CG Cutter .. Onion Rings, etc.. Our damage controlman took a 55 Gallon Drum.. Cut it in half and made a charcoal grill out of it... I often think I hope the 55 gallon drum was not filled with caustic substance...

At Governors Island NY.. Woo we had a entire lobster and all kind of other seafood on Friday.. Even Frog Legs.....Yes Frog Legs taste just like.............................................................. Chicken!!!!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Way to much.... chicken !

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
The best food I had was in Afghanistan. The Chow Halls had some great food on base back in the states, oops they are called Dining Facilities now.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
when my dad was stationed in Germany back in 1958 to 1961 , he said he had good meals , especially s.o.s , ,he said a lot of guys didn't like it and would give it to him ,which he didn't complain about it because he liked it alot

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Powdered eggs, powdered milk, and bug juice, ummmmm. We used the bug juice to clean deck plates down in the boiler rooms. We had pretty good chow most of the time. Steak, shrimp, lobster, fried rabbit, and stinking chicken.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Only had powdered eggs and milk one time for a couple of days. Weather delayed us from getting into port to take on stores. Canned goods and dry food we got via helicopter at sea but we bought our milk and eggs in some of the countries we stopped at.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
What a shame we can't actually post some of the nicknames we gave the food... Mid Rats on a Coast Guard cutter for people who just got off a long 4 hour watch at sea... Horse private sandwiches... I hope you get the jest of what I'm trying to say we called those cold cut sandwiches? What is a male rooster? I still laugh about it to this day..

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I was TDY most of my stint in the USAF, eating in restaurants and hotels all the time, never had a bad meal. On another note, Im beginning to think one had to be a wing nut as a prerequisite to becoming a moderator :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
Always loved eating in the chow hall, never really named any food. I'm with Ghost was TDY a lot so always the best restaurants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts