The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to ATV's in as far as knowing what is a good used from a poor used. Knowing full well that they can not be judged inthe same way the auto's can. My question is, how many miles/hrs on a used ATV should be considered acceptable? Taking into consideration that mechanically and cosmetically the machine is good. I really can't afford a New one, and I see alot of used ones that look OK, but some with what might be considered high mileage. I also realized it ay be a really tuff question to ask with all the variable. For example: Would an 05 500cc machine with 2400 miles and 147 hrs be considered an average for that year? What do I look for?
Any help would be appreciated. Paul

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 05 Kawa Brute Force - and only have 741 miles on it, basically use it for snowplowing and gardening, with the occasional ride on the property.. That is low mileage!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I would say that is average personally. depends on how much he rides. for example I have 2100 on my quad after 2 1/2 years and I ride alot. doing the math he was doing 16 mph avg. that is if my math is right

·
Registered
893 Posts
Was it cared for?
500 hrs on a cared for machine is better than 50 on an abused machine.
There are plenty of quads out there that have never even seen an engine oil change let alone anything else.
The oldest machine I have is 11 yrs and runs like the day it was bought.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the owner, it was serviced regularly. It looks in decent shape for being 5 years old, and the price is attractive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the owner, it was serviced regularly. It looks in decent shape for being 5 years old, and the price is attractive.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
1000 hours on a machine with 800 miles is kinda odd. you sure it wasn't 100 hours?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hours use can be a misleading number, hours at idle just sitting, Could be a lot of riding at low speeds, Most trail riding in mountains on logging roads a grown responisble adult avg milage should be 5-10 mph on open roads with no obsticals. As for a machine. This summer we sold our first atv with 3500 miles on it and no hour meter. I do not believe we ever rode the atv over 35 mph. The machine was farm used and woods ridden. We never had service issues or mechanical failures with it. Changing the oil is a vital task with a automatic ATV. One brand I would steer away from unless your capable of working on one is the Polaris Sportsman. We have one and know of others that once you reach approx 1200-1500 miles you will start to see repair issues that you do not see with other machines. Our latest repair was $1000 for the magneto server that works the 4wd system in the front end. We have owned Suzuki, Honda, and Polaris. They are all adult ridden. Our next will probably be another Suzuki or Honda.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I doubt he was going less then a mile per hour.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Nova...that averages about 480 miles a year.

It is very easy to get 100 miles in a weekend of riding slowly.
When I go on Memorial day weekend, I average close to 200+ miles so basically in 2 weekends I could easily hit 480 miles.

I would say that quad is not used hard and is probably actually less than average. JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts