The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How completely stupid is this ? I just read in the PON, July 1 issue, that the PGC turns away candidates that have any visible tattoos. Oh gosh, talk about holier than thou. I'm fairly sure a big burly hunter can handle seeing the tat of a squid that some Navy boy got decades ago in honor of is service ? The agency has no right to complain about the antiquated "Blue Laws" in regards to Sunday Hunting, until they remove themselves from their own high horse. Get a grip over there on Elmerton Ave folks.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Cops" is a fairly general term. I'm sure some departments/forces take issue with a tat, while others don't. A bit over the top for the PGC in my book.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I was at McDonalds a couple years ago and this kid waiting on me had a band aid across his wrist and I said what did you do to your arm, he said nothing I had to cover a tattoo to work here..

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I somewhat agree with your view but where does it end? If visible tattoos are ok, are earrings, nose rings, and facial piercing ok too? Are hair grooming regulations also antiquated?
There are always people who will push the limits on any regulation. Uniformed services require some uniformity in appearance not human billboards expressing their individuality. JMHO.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I somewhat agree with your view but where does it end? If visible tattoos are ok, are earrings, nose rings, and facial piercing ok too?
Actually, since you asked, I think it CAN end at earrings, nose rings, and facial piercings.
They all can be removed if a candidate is informed that hiring policy states they cannot have them. A tat of course can be removed (depending on the persons medical status at the time), but of course can be quite invasive. I just can't see eliminating potential viable candidates from a PGC Deputy or WCO position, simply for a fella having an "I luv Debby" tattoo he got in the service 30 years ago ? Or a gal having a rose on her wrist, or an "I luv Gramps" around her wrist ?

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong. It's well within their rights currently to impose such a hiring stipulation. I just think they are placing a valuation on the position just a bit too high though..... with all due respect to former/current employees. I don't think a any former of current WCO that visits this board, would be any less professional or knowledgeable, simply for having a tattoo on their arm.

I also thought NY Yank manager Billy Martin was full of himself in the 70's, when he mandated that anybody playing on his team could not even have a smidgeon of a moustache, or facial stubble. Pompous.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I just can't see eliminating potential viable candidates from a PGC Deputy or WCO position, simply for a fella having an "I luv Debby" tattoo he got in the service 30 years ago ?
The days of a single tattoo on the shoulder that one got in the service are long gone. The millenials have full sleeves and neck tattoos. It's an addiction to some and they can't stop at just 10 or 15 tattoos all over their bodies.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand. And they simply may be a candidate that is not considered for a position. But by blanket stating "No Visible Tattoo's", you are eliminating that 68 yr old guy that got the name of his carrier on his forearm 50 yrs ago. He's now recently retired, and wants to "help out" enforcing game laws in his spare time.

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Along those lines, I'm pretty sure Jack Lambert (for those of you that know who he was) was a Deputy WCO north of here, maybe Butler Co area, after he retired.

....... and even though "turf toe" forced his retirement, I don't think he caught much guff as a Deputy Warden.

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Where and what was Jack's tat?
Many in the military have tats and those that have them that show in short sleeve uniform are prohibited from some jobs. Limited duty acceptance could hurt promotion timing.

Having said that if you see a WCO with a visible tat don't unload you firearm. Waugh!

·
Registered
25,981 Posts
Remember a pic of Jack in his DWCO uniform years back and the caption said something about hunters probably not wanting to run into <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> guy afield?

IIRC, was an article in Sports Illustrated about what several pro athletes were up to after retiring? Got a chuckle out of Lambert in his Dep outfit, usual glare on his mug.

As for tats, don't bother me if any LE organization bans any that might show. Someone asked me once why my son doesn't have any tats or piercings, like so many of his friends do.

Probably because he takes after his gramps and his daddy. Neither my dad nor I could stand wearing a ring or a watch, let along have anything else hangin' on us?

·
Registered
16,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pretty Teenage Girl: "Hi Joey."
Joey: "Hi Pretty Teenage Girl."
Pretty Teenage Girl: "I see you in Study Hall."
Joey: "Ya, I see you too."
Pretty Teenage Girl: "You want to go to Prom with me ?."
Joey: "WOW ! I SURE DO ! What's your name ?"
Pretty Teenage Girl: "Jackie, Jackie Lambert. My daddy's the Warden."
Joey: "I forgot. I'm not allowed to go to Prom."

Poor daughters could just never get a date.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Comes down to personal freedom.

You have the freedom to get tats, employers have the freedom to not hire you. You make your choice, live with it and quit crying.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have seen several people with a wedding ring tattoo in lieu of a wedding ring. Seems a bit extreme to not hire that person for a job. I also saw eyeliner tattoo on a woman who didn't want to re-apply eyeliner everyday. Sounds like a good reason to not hire that person...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.