The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions i want to take my son but i would like to be able to watch, i do not want to hunt i just want to watch him

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Do it right the first time and take him to Montana or Wyoming....You'll see herds and herds of deer, and he'll see more bucks in a week than he'll see in a lifetime here in Pa....You'll both go nuts at all the game you will see out there.....He'll think you're the best dad in the world and you'll both talk about it for years!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Big Ken said:
Do it right the first time and take him to Montana or Wyoming....You'll see herds and herds of deer, and he'll see more bucks in a week than he'll see in a lifetime here in Pa....You'll both go nuts at all the game you will see out there.....He'll think you're the best dad in the world and you'll both talk about it for years!
Good advice.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
How hard is it to get tags in those states? Also, can you shoot both a muley and whitetail? Or, only 1 per year?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Buddy of mine hunted with a guy that was on the border of S. Dakota and Montana. Not even sure which state he hunted in as the house was in S Dakota but the driveway started in Montana, but he was bowhunting the first morning and shot the 34th buck he saw.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Montana has outfitter tags which are essentially guaranteed. The outfitter supplies these. You do have to pay for them and they are expensive. They are good for a mulie or whitetail. I never hunted Wyoming so I cant comment on that state.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
my one dream hunt in my lifetime is on the Milk River... Montana. The stories Ive read, the videos Ive seen. I dont even think any of the big name states could come close.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'll take Potter County. LOL

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys i will look into it i am supposed to take him to alberta but if it is too much hassle i want a plan b.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Big Ken said:
I will second that thought.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Just booked my third trip to Wyoming. Archery whitetail and mule deer. I don't think I'll ever hunt the midwest again after hunting out there. Unpressured deer, hundreds of animals, and the locals rarely hunt them as elk season is also open, and that is what they chase.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
jlh42581 said:
my one dream hunt in my lifetime is on the Milk River... Montana. The stories Ive read, the videos Ive seen. I don't even think any of the big name states could come close.
Although the Milk River gets all of the publicity, any of the major river drainage's in Montana have the same high quality whitetail hunting...I hunted the Powder River drainage's for years, and experienced the same....200 deer in a field.....20 buck passing by my stand in a single morning, most eight points or better....

It's nice when you are up in a tree stand and you can see over 1000 saplings below you and 900 of them are rubbed!

I've often thought about hunting the mid west states and some of the monster bucks there, but the truth is the success rate on those brutes is still very low compared to the large amount of hunters that go there, sure I hear of guys who "saw the big one 80 yards away, maybe I'll get him on the next trip" , but for the $$$, the western whitetail hunt is still the best bang for the buck, a good chance for a 150" or better if you must have that kind of deer, and a 120-130" is a virtual gimme, even if you hold out until late in the hunt....Hardest part of this hunt is keeping your finger off of the trigger.....Took several fellows with me who succumbed to this temptation and shot the first nice one they saw, only to regret it later.My own personal best has been a 153" 13 point taken with a rifle, but saw nicer ones taken as well.......This type of trip is the best thing that I ever did for myself.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Sure,

http://www.powder-river-outfitters.com/

I've hunted with this outfit a bunch of times...Always have seen 250-300 or more bucks in a weeks hunt (half mule deer, half whitetails)...Of course, many small ones, but a lot of nice ones too....They lease a ton of farms, and only take a few deer off of each one every year. Many farms are right along the Powder River( About as wide as Penns Creek)...Get your buck , then hunt turkeys and pheasants(Loaded with both).
To me, there is nothing worse than saving all your hard-earned $$ for a hunt away, only to come home dissappointed(Yeh, that's why they call it hunting)..This place doesn't dissapoint unless you expect B&C....Nobody can guarantee you that !

Whitetails are slowly taking over the west (Much to the dismay of the locals who worship the mule deer.)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Woodswise, check this site out: http://nris.mt.gov/gis/ownmaps.asp

I beleive Montana has around 30 million acres of public land. Also, some private lands offer access for a fee.
DIY obviously is not always as successful as going with a high priced guide. But, if you get something, you did it with your own effort and skills.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts