The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the overall results from this past seasons goose hunt at the blinds inside MC.

Blinds Hunted......392
Hunters...........1157
Geese Harvested....121
Hunter Success Rate 10%

Ducks Harvested.....75
Snows Harvested.....12

Of the 121 geese harvested 79 were Adults, 42 Juvies.
Also, of the 121 geese harvested 88 were Residents, 33 Migrators.

I'd like to thank Steve Smith of the PGC for this info again this year.

You guys have any thoughts about these numbers?
Like how long will it take till the duck harvest passes the goose harvest inside MC!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last years numbers.

Blinds....419
Hunters...1230
Geese Harvested..165
Hunter Success...13%

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
My thought is that Middle Creek could care less about goose hunting anymore. If they did, they'd move blinds around, plant more food sources etc... a 10% harvest is pathetic considering it was designed as a wetlands project to attract waterfowl.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
165 geese was in 2011/2012, this past season 2012/2013 was 1157 hunters killed 121 geese for an even lower hunter success rate of 10%.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Rumor has it that there's talk that there will be no goose hunting at MC next season... Considering most of whats killed are residents I think that's a good idea.

Aside from that from what I've heard and read on this forum canada goose hunting was poor in much of the area this past season too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd like to know how many of those were killed in the duck blinds vs. the goose blinds and also how many were shot on the first few days the blinds were open because those birds wont come near the goose blinds after the first few days. I would also like to see them switch the goose blinds that are over water to duck blinds

·
Registered
107 Posts
Middle creek is a joke anyway. They used to rent decoys for people to use and people would sky bust them all the time it was terrible. We packed full body's in and killed our four geese no proplem. Just blew my mind they rent decoys for people to use.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The harvest info is broken down by month.

November
Hunters...276
Geese Havested...19
Hunter Success...7%
Ducks Harvested..26

December
Hunters........431
Geese Harvested...63
Hunter Success....15%
Ducks Harvested...39

January
Hunters.......450
Geese Harvested..39
Hunter Success...9%
Ducks Harvested..10

The month of November was the lowest success rate. You'd think that would be the best hunting, but half the geese killed were during December.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
They should question the people going into the blinds in some way that lets you find out if they are an avid hunter or just somebody who 'wants to see if they like it'. I went into a no show at pymie with a father and son team. My buddy and I were swinging 10ga with DC, these fellas were using 2 3/4 #4's. They wanted to try out goose hunting. Guess who went home 10 shells light and gooseless? Not me and my buddy. My point is you can't judge it based on success alone. Lots of people stink or are ill equipped.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My point is you can't judge it based on success alone. Lots of people stink or are ill equipped.
If there has been one constant at MC, it's a fact that most hunters that go are Rookies.
However, it wasn't too many years ago that those same Rookies had a hunter success rate over 50%. There is only one reason the harvest and success rate has dropped to all time lows...less geese.
There use to be a lot more smiling faces when the hunters left MC.

Even with the restricted, 1 a day September season in the Box outside MC for the last 7 years, the Resident goose population has continued to decline.
When the AP of geese was low we had a 5 year closure and the population recovered enough to reopen the season.
The 1 a day Box has done nothing to help the goose numbers.
It has to be the poor goose reproduction inside MC.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah i wouldnt have guessed that december wouldve been the best month, but now that i think about it it makes sense because of the 3 week break for deer season and more migrators that time of year that november. Thanks for posting that. Like DTaylor said it would be nice to know how many of those guys know what they are doing

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm not saying that geese #'s aren't the problem, because they are, but applications from avid waterfowlers vs weekkend warriors is probably proportional. The more rookies we have skybusting, the less avid hunters are likely to burn a day there or even apply. I know peoplw who the only waterfowl hunt they'll go to is in a mangement blind at pymie. They're not the people taking ethical shots with the right gear. Does anybody know how many applications they receive a year? Has that number gone up or down? If there are less geese and dedicated waterfowlers know success rates are low, I'd bet the bulk of them are rookies. If the application volume is stagnant, that says a lot. I know I'm not wasting a day at the goose blinds at pymie.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vast majority of goose hunters inside MC are 1st time goose hunters, it's always been like that.
But now that there is no limit to the number of times you can sign up for a no show blind there is an increase in better hunters.
An example would be the hunter I spoke with who said MC is his go to spot. He drove a long distance to get there. When I asked why he explained how because of work, he doesn't have much time to scout, hunter pressure, leased fields, in general no place to hunt.
So, it was better to get his own blind inside MC. He had hunted inside MC with his Dad 6 times so far that year.

My guess is the number of good goose hunters inside MC is actually increasing since this rule change.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Id agree with the vast majority being first time hunters. Ive also seen an increase in people doing the standby blinds. Couple years ago I had no problem getting a secondary no show blind. This year I only hunted there 3 times out of 7-8 times putting in for a blind.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have heard guys saying they need to cut down the high brush around the lake and plant more nesting friendly habitat to attract more mating pairs. The fact is I drew a blind this year and didn't even consider going because it was outside of duck season. I would rather hunt late in the season when there may be snows there or early on a duck blind. But Canada geese is last thing I care about hunting at MC. I have hunted there once before and saw the way they act around those pits. I would rather go to one of my farms and chance killing more than one. If there were a ton of birds there I would go for the show and a chance but there isnt

·
Registered
475 Posts
shut it down till the population comes around. there's plenty of resident birds hanging at the local golf courses to hunt till then.

if they want you to shoot migrators ,then they need to re adjust the season dates.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would say its a more of a predator issue due to the low numbers. A lot people over look how many eggs a raccoon or snapping turtle can eat. I know Middle Creek is loaded with them. The managers at Middle Creek should be worried about the high numbers of predators with in the the limits. If they could get a few trappers in there it would be almost certain the geese population would increase.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
bbd!5b said:
I would say its a more of a predator issue due to the low numbers. A lot people over look how many eggs a raccoon or snapping turtle can eat. I know Middle Creek is loaded with them. The managers at Middle Creek should be worried about the high numbers of predators with in the the limits. If they could get a few trappers in there it would be almost certain the geese population would increase.
Good point! I hunted near a dead deer carcass during the special deer hunt inside Middle Creek this past year. Saw two red foxes and a beautiful coyote.

I think part of the problem is also habitat. There's a reason the snows and migrating canadas are not hitting it as hard as they used to. The birds don't know about predators but they do know what habitat they prefer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts