The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the midday/evening hunting going for you guys? I havnt been able to get out the past week and a half. Hoping to get out every evening this week and all day Friday. Just hope the weather cooperates!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Have been out two evenings and haven't heard or seen a thing. Been very slow season in my area. Between the 5 of us we killed 8 gobblers last year and this year only 3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure what your work schedule is like, but if there's an opportunity to listen for a bird at day break briefly and then go back for him once off work, your odds of success will substantially increase. Even if you heard him a few days ago, knowing where he lives is a large part of the game. Once he loses his hens mid-day or redirects his attention to finding hens to roost with in the late afternoon, just knowing the general area where the bird frequents is very important to success during the hours with which you'll be out there. Don't get discouraged if it takes an hour or two of silence, either. With afternoon turkeys, I feel like sometimes they will hear and approach the call, but do not gobble until they get within that 150-100 yard mark. So set up where you know a bird lives, be patient, and take each gobble as an opportunity to understand where he wants to be and where you need to be to kill him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts