The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of strange last few days...everyone I have talked to has said that basically all chasing activity has stopped. It was hot and heavy for a week or so, now its like there isn't a deer in the woods. I understand that there's a chance that bucks could be locked down with does, but every buck? And even all the does too? I know it could go right back to full speed ahead in a minute, but I can't recall seeing such a screeching halt right in the middle of the best weeks of the season..anyone have any similiar problems or notice this same thing too recently.

·
Registered
995 Posts
yes sir..i totally missed the chase phase. I did jump a few couples while walking up to my one stand. It seems like the deer have mated up and aren't moving around a whole lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
basket 8 running does across the road from the house tonight. On the way home from work there were deer in every field. No chasing.
This time of year, it's the right place at the right time!

·
Registered
44 Posts
They are runnin and will probably chase till rifle then around the time late season it starts again. Every year my friend and other than a day here or a day there its the same every year.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Saw a 4 pt chasing hard Wed nightand tonight had 3 bucks cruising by house. One was following does but by no means chasing. I think the best is just starting. Gonna be a good weekend...and next in MD.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here in 5C today was the first real rut activity I have seen. Buck in the wide open mid day. Saw what might have been the biggest buck I have seen in the woods locked on a doe following her through the wide open power lines at 230-300pm today. Friggin huge. Didnt seem like any lull here we may just have gotten started a little latter.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Look at all the guys finally scoring on HPA. They are just starting. You will see tomorrow and Monday the success rates will double on here.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
My dad, who is retired, was out everyday all day this past week and he said the same thing. He called me this evening and said, I think the rut is over! He said on Thursday afternoon, 3 does walked into an open field by his stand. He said they fed all afternoon, undisturbed.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I had a good 8pt breed a doe in the backyard this morning, saw another half rack 5 make a scrape at my jobsite, and saw another huge half rack 4 tending a doe when I came back from lunch. I could have killed all three bucks because they are acting so stupid right now.
Now is the time to hunt IN the doe bedding areas. Forget food, forget water, forget funnels and saddles. Get right in the bedding areas and you should easily kill a buck.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
hasnt even got started heavy here yet, have seen the ocassional dumb small buck but no intense rut activity and no bucks chasing doe.
note they are still religously hitting the scrapes here also.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It is a pretty odd fall. I have not seen a doe being followed by a buck yet. Last night, two bucks came out into the corn field to feed together. Didnt want anything to do with a grunt call. Then tonight I grunted in two young bucks that were traveling together. However I also saw two really nice bucks out crusing tonight. Couldnt get them to come in range though.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
greenstang232 said:
It is a pretty odd fall. I have not seen a doe being followed by a buck yet. Last night, two bucks came out into the corn field to feed together. Didnt want anything to do with a grunt call. Then tonight I grunted in two young bucks that were traveling together. However I also saw two really nice bucks out crusing tonight. Couldnt get them to come in range though.
What is cruising and how do you know they participated in such behavior?

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
I saw a lot of activity a couple weeks ago but, since the hurricane, things have gotten quiet. The deer just seemed to start moving again the last couple of days. I haven't seen actual chasing this year. It almost seems like the rut is over, but that's not possible, is it?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Danesdad said:
I saw a lot of activity a couple weeks ago but, since the hurricane, things have gotten quiet. The deer just seemed to start moving again the last couple of days. I haven't seen actual chasing this year. It almost seems like the rut is over, but that's not possible, is it?
Maybe they are rutting only at night.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
Well, in some places I'm seeing a lot of scrapes, so I imagine it is going on. I'm seeing deer, so I cant complain. Maybe the big boys are only coming out at night.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uh Cruising? Let's just say I sat for a week straight and would see between 5-10 bucks a day just "cruising" through the woods, nose to the ground, searching...chasing any doe they came upon until they could catch a whiff to tell if she was worth following. It was hot and heavy here for awhile. Brother saw 4 bucks in 10 minutes check the same scrape and keep going last week, and that was at noon...its just stopped, the weirdest part is that they just cut all the corn, (and there was a ton),. You would think that would put more deer in the woods, but in reality, its been just like they all disappeared. Its very odd.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My brother in law and I were just talking about this very same thing last night! We have no fewer than 10 legal bucks on the farm with 4 that we consider shooters at 3 yrears old and older. I haven't seen a hair in almost a week and the last buck he saw happened to be one of the shooters at 25 yards with no shot and that was over a week ago. It'll pick up for sure...right smack in between archry and rifle seasons...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts