The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to post this last night but when I hit submit I got the 'forum is closed for maintenance' message. LOL! Anyway......

I planted winter wheat in the remaining section of the one plot about three weeks ago and it's doing pretty well.

The brassica and oat section of the same plot is doing way better than I thought it would for being planted so late. It's about a foot high now and the deer are starting to hit it.

The first plot I planted has been getting browsed since September but it still has a fair amount of forage left in it. The brassica's seemed to grow back pretty well in the last few weeks.

The deer are really hitting the oats now, most of the tops of them are nipped off. Sorry for the poor quality picture.

I replanted one of my really small plots in the woods with winter wheat about a week ago and it's starting to come up but I'm afraid it might get smothered out by falling leaves. I still have some winter wheat and rye left and might try another spot before November rolls around (weather permitting). I figure it has nothing to offer now so there's not much to lose. On a side note I've realized that I don't have enough trail cameras.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You have some really nice growth there. Good job!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I am hoping all the usually cold weather this early doesn't hurt the tonnage my food plot will produce for the deer this winter.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It will, can't be helped. We are losing some "growing season" here. But, if you've used cereal grains, it will push come spring and really help them then. Thats the beauty of cereal grains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts