The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought many of you would enjoy seeing this...i cant take credit for the find..i just went to view them..

found in the dunes of Lake Michigan...the dune is eroding and the small tree is hanging on by a root and flailing in the breeze....in turn spilling out and uncovering the pot shards!

i didnt wanna get super close to them in fear of ruining anything else that may be there..the color is awesome...hard to see in the pics but the cordage marks and everything are visible...just awesome!

you could see the fine line of black soil that i was told is the ground that was here when the pottery was left..i regret not having "overview" piece to show that and how the tree and erosion of the dune was spilling and uncovering the pottery...but at the time i just wanted to view it and get out of there to not draw attention to it...another reason i didnt get super close to the main pieces was leaving tracks..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is from Native Americans....

The pottery is likely thousands of years old.....if left in the elements it will break down REALLY fast because the clay and materials and firing methods were so "low tech"

So many pieces....well...I am far from an expert...but...they were people...things broke...they had "dumps"...I really don't know why....there may be more "concrete" answers...I'm no archeologist...

I know know finding numerous piece a like that isn't uncommon (when pottery is found).

No tellling what else is under the sand at that spot!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no problem! do a little searching on the web...its truly fascinating stuff...

i am FAR from any kind of archeologist...i am just starting to learn about finding stuff...its a blast...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts