The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys first post and had some questions. I want to get into predator hunting but am a bit overwhelmed with all the information and need some help. So, to start it off, how is the Michaux for predators and what would be a efficient way of scouting such a vast area? The reason for picking the Michaux is that I don't know any better areas. I plan to start scouting now and maybe try and call for coyotes until next season. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There's plenty of farms in Cumberland Co to go ask for permission or if they are having problems with coyotes. For Michaux they're there. I hunt it all the time. As far as scouting Michaux, I just drove around at night and started hunting it.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ockmosis said:
There's no predators in Cumberland county
What he said

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess im more wondering about the coyote population in the Michaux. Born and raised in Cumberland co. and have honestly never seen a yote. When talking to my dad he was thinking they would be more in the farm area rather than the mountain.

I heard that place is pretty cool. Is it mountains or woods or both?
Definitely cool. I drive around on the forest roads every chance I get and find something new every time.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Listen fellas you need to get out and scout. Pretty much everywhere in pa has coyotes if it isnt located in too much of a habituated place. Find good habitat and use good woodsmenship and you'll succeed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Listen fellas you need to get out and scout. Pretty much everywhere in pa has coyotes if it isnt located in too much of a habituated place. Find good habitat and use good woodsmenship and you'll succeed.
Ugh, easier said than done. Nobody im my family likes guns, hunting or fishing. I have spent some time scouting/squirrel hunting the area with absolutely no luck. Just cant seem to catch a brake you know. Not asking for someones spot just for a more efficiant ways of scouting.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Well since i don't even predator hunt i guess it would be impossible forme to spot burn . Try western adams county section of the Michaux. I hunt deer there and hear and see plenty of yotes. The areas hunt Im betting sees little to no predator hunting .

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
bigben said:
You would be surprised where coyotes will show up. One does not necessarily have to go deep in the woods to find coyotes. They will adapt to "habituated" environments. Sproul

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Well i was talking about basically everywhere that isnt a city has em. Urban areas woods anywhere else is good places to start.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Try first walking logging trails through the woods and look for scat aka (hairy poop) lol. A good spot will have both old and new scat. Try and determine good stands such as higher vantage points, overlooking trails ect. Bring a compass so you can determine the direction you will need to aproach, so you can look at the weather before you go and determin the wind direction wich is extreemly important. I garuntee there are plenty of coyotes running around there. Logging trails are key imo because they are easily called out in that sit compared to wide open feilds.

·
Registered
927 Posts
They live in some pretty urban areas too, somone hit one on mcknight rd in pittsburgh last year toward the city end. and another guy shot one in his backyard on Mt washington. Just proving you can basicly assume they exist in any place here in pa.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dont be afraid to bring a shotgun and rifle. I hunt areas where I always bring both so I dont pass up either good calling stands. Infact I bring 3 guns somtimes including a 357 snub just in case they get too close haha. good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've located and herd many coyotes on the north mountain out around 3 square. And I also hunt the south mountain and located them from michaux rd west to shippensburg.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Try over by the quarry off big pond hollow road..... but seriously they're all over Michaux. I don't know what town you live in but my land borders Michaux around Baltimore rd in Shippensburg and I can drive down any one of the state forest roads and hunt them. They're all over, I've even called one to my backyard before. I personally go on google maps and look for clear cut areas from logging or those little clearcuts that are off of logging roads. I hunt those since Michaux is mainly forest and since I hunt mainly at night and if you go into the woods I feel I get to much splashback from the flashlight reflecting off of trees on myself since its so bright. Michaux has tons of those little clear areas hidden throughout it, most of them are about 50-150 yard circles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts