The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 99 Polaris Xplorer and trying to figure out how mice are getting into the clutch housing. I plug the housing breather tube with a plumbing test plug . The air intake for carb is plugged as well as the exhaust pipe. . No holes or gaps in the housing cover. Last time at camp I removed the plugs ,started it up and a small amount of nesting material and a fresh mangled mouse came out of the clutch breather . When we left I tied a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil on a string and dropped down inside the housing. Hoping that works.
Any idea where else they can access thru to the housing?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would have no idea, but I had mice destroy an outboard engine that was stored in my lawn shed. I got it out for duck season about a week before the season and hooked up the gas line with the lower unit in a 5 gal bucket and tried to start it, it tried to start, ran for a short while and quit. I took off the cowling and found it completely full of mouse nest. some of it got sucked into the engine. It wasn't worth the price to get it fixed. I bought a new engine and stored it in my basement.

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
I would have no idea, but I had mice destroy an outboard engine that was stored in my lawn shed. I got it out for duck season about a week before the season and hooked up the gas line with the lower unit in a 5 gal bucket and tried to start it, it tried to start, ran for a short while and quit. I took off the cowling and found it completely full of mouse nest. some of it got sucked into the engine. It wasn't worth the price to get it fixed. I bought a new engine and stored it in my basement.
Had mice in the cowling of my Mercury, fortunately nothing was chewed. I take the cowling off now when I park the boat for the winter. Mice want to be inside something to build a nest.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a inlet and outlet on Polaris cvt housing, Check to see if mice chewed a hole in it
There is an outlet on the left side, a snorkel is attached to the clutch housing. I remove the snorkel and use a test plug to block that. The last time I had the cover off I don't recall seeing an inlet hole anywhere. No holes chewed that I couild see. Would the inlet be on the right side under the access fender panels? going to google that.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Jag,Looking at the gas tank from riders position ,There are 2 intakes. The pipe on the back left side of the gas tank goes to the clutch cover as does the one on the side of the gas tank. One is inlet other is the exhaust for cooling the clutch, Hope this helps

·
Banned
279 Posts
I had problems with them getting into my Jeep that I kept up at the cabin. I put a couple of moth balls in a baggie and poked holes in the baggie and stuck them all over the engine compartment and on top of the tires and a few on the floor around the tires. Seemed to do the trick. Just try to keep track of the ones in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jag,Looking at the gas tank from riders position ,There are 2 intakes. The pipe on the back left side of the gas tank goes to the clutch cover as does the one on the side of the gas tank. One is inlet other is the exhaust for cooling the clutch, Hope this helps
Was at camp Thurs thru Sunday this past week. Found the intake snorkel up under the headlight . There was nesting material under the cover plate and it was being sucked into the intake. A small plastic cover pops off to access below the headlight. Now I got a game plan to make a blocking plate to install when its not in use as well as the plumbing test plugs for the other openings when we are not at camp. Hopefully that solves the problem. Nest are another thing but I can deal with that.
The cotton balls with peppermint oil on a wire did not work at all, they took the cotton balls !
Thanks for your help willys

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I have an old 99 Polaris Xplorer and trying to figure out how mice are getting into the clutch housing. I plug the housing breather tube with a plumbing test plug . The air intake for carb is plugged as well as the exhaust pipe. . No holes or gaps in the housing cover. Last time at camp I removed the plugs ,started it up and a small amount of nesting material and a fresh mangled mouse came out of the clutch breather . When we left I tied a cotton ball soaked with peppermint oil on a string and dropped down inside the housing. Hoping that works.
Any idea where else they can access thru to the housing?

I had a previous honda 500 and had a mouse or chipmunk drag like a wash rag up the tube running back from engine. Could not figure why it was fouling plug and not start. Made a real mess. Then my buddy heater in my tower stand a mouse made my last day of flintlock season miserable. I just recovered from the flu and tried hunting last day. My buddy heater would not light. Took the back off and 3 mice jumped out and had the fuel line clogged with debri. Yes, I froze that evening and no shot. When I dry country cure my hams in an old storage building I have been using some actual peppermint dabbing it on to cotton balls and working good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i had mouse nesting in my air filter compartment,was told to try some moth balls,i did and no more mouse nesting problems,now for 3yrs. Good Luck if you try this moth ball thing.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
An old fellow once told me he used fine steel wool to plug holes where mice like to enter. He said when the mice try to chew the steel wool, it cuts their little teeny tiny lips and they are not fond of that.

I never tried it myself.....but I thought I'd give you another option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts