The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a hand held metal detecting wand be sensitive enough to locate a #9 shot Tungsten Pellet in a boned out turkey breast?

#9 tungsten would weigh 1.2 grains, (same diameter as a lead #9 pellet)
the pellet would be less than 1/2" deep into the meat.

Thanks

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I once used a hand held metal detector to find lead shot in some teal that were killed with illegal shot. There was however more than just one piece of shot in the fully feathered ducks.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You may think this is crazy....but for my iPhone I downloaded an app called "Metal Detector" written by Alexandr Balyberdin. It's free from the app store.

This app helped me to find two property corner pins that were about 1" under the ground.

Again...it's free.....I'd try it.

FWIW

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I once used a hand held metal detector to find led shot in some teal that were killed with illegal shot. There was however more than just one piece of shot in the fully feathered ducks.

I have had some tungsten pellets (TSS) that a magnet will not pick up, they are pure tungsten and weigh the same as the pellets the magnet does pick up

would there be an issue with these if used as waterfowl shot?( if not magnetic), a pair of pliers won't begin to leave a mark on them let alone deform them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have had some tungsten pellets (TSS) that a magnet will not pick up, they are pure tungsten and weigh the same as the pellets the magnet does pick up

would there be an issue with these if used as waterfowl shot?( if not magnetic), a pair of pliers won't begin to leave a mark on them let alone deform them.
Most metal detectors will pick up both ferrous and no ferrous metals. You need to asked when you buy one.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply's,

125.00 wouldn't be to bad if it saved a tooth

there are some charts online for shot pellet sizes, most of them seem to show the shot pellets a little bigger than they are, but that would give some idea of pellet size

1 - 12 of 12 Posts