The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone prefer

In my unbiased, unscientific experiment during the last two days I had an opportunity to try both products that I recently received.

I had the most expensive warmest merino sock sold at Bass pro shop for under $ 20 vs heavy weight Alpaca socks at $32 that I bought at a Alpaca farm in Susquehanna county.

Both socks were very comfortable and not itchy. If I had to pick maybe a slight edge to the Alpaca

Warmth : yesterday I wore a thin liner sock with the merino wool socks with 400 grams in my Perfect hunter boots from Cabelas. Temperature was about 25 After about 1 1/2 hrs. My feet started to get cold but I lasted for another hour until it was too dark to shoot.

Today it was a high of 18 degrees and I used the the Alpaca socks and I was advised by the owner of the Alpaca farm not to were a liner sock. Again I lasted about 1 1/2 hours until my feet just started to get cold. I was wearing the same boots.

IMO maybe slightly I give the edge to the Alpaca socks. Maybe physically you get what you pay for.

However, if I was working for Consumer reports the Best Buy would go to the Merino socks.

I also had an opportunity to try my new Christmas gift of Minus 33 expedition weight long johns that cost an arm and a leg. They were very comfortable and not itchy at all. Yesterday with a high of 25 I never did get cold. Today with a high of 18 I got slightly cold But was able to stay on a tree stand until it got too dark to see thru my sights.

So out of all my cold weather long johns I would recommend the Minus 33. They are warmer then my Under armor cold gear and my high end Cabela brand underwear.

I conclude while having several beers and a few fireballs to warm up in this unbearable muzzleloader season while I give you my opinions. Stay warm my friends.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I used to get cold feet no matter what sock or boot I wore because me feet sweat. Now, the ultimate cure for me was wools socks, stick-on toe warmers and 800gram Rocky boots followed by putting on my boot blankets. I can sit all day and toes stay toasty warm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER-BOOT-BLANKET-LARGE/233087201596?epid=1500917160&hash=item364514713c:rk:1:pf:0#rwid
Best things ever invented!

As far as layers I use what Uncle Sam gave me, whatever silk weight long johns you choose(they are all the same) then ECWCS waffle gear followed by my old fleece jacket and pants and then finally a waterproof camo jacket and bibs. Lightweight and warm

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Joe

We need an update in a few months. I'm curious as to how the alpaca wear compared to the wool.

BTW how thick are the alpaca. The same as the wool or thicker?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Alpaca wool socks were the best for keeping my feet warm and dry, but they came apart after a season worth of use. Maybe worn just 12 times and I was wearing thin spots on the pressure points. They were 100% alpaca wool and a loose knit.

That could have just been the weaving process though, I don't know, but they were extremely comfortable to wear. Very soft.

I have many pairs of 60% or higher merino wool socks. My feet will get a little clammy in them now and again, but they dry very quickly and don't hold much odor. Merino is very comfortable to the touch and wears very well.

I have a pair of alpaca boot insoles that are really nice too. They go in my Muck boots to insulate the bottom.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Been wearing Merino wool for 10 years or better.

Was out this morning (14 degrees to start out )with them and my Irish Setter Rutmasters. My feet would have stayed warm as long as wanted to be out there. When the temps REALLY drop, I'll add a thin poly sock liner underneath. Good to go !!

I wear my Merinos at work, too and they take a BEATING. But I'll still probably average 4-5 years out of a pair. I like the Red Wing brand ones best. Columbia, Browning...………...strong 2nd place.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Been wearing Merino wool for 10 years or better.

Was out this morning (14 degrees to start out )with them and my Irish Setter Rutmasters. My feet would have stayed warm as long as wanted to be out there. When the temps REALLY drop, I'll add a thin poly sock liner underneath. Good to go !!

I wear my Merinos at work, too and they take a BEATING. But I'll still probably average 4-5 years out of a pair. I like the Red Wing brand ones best. Columbia, Browning...………...strong 2nd place.
+1 Carhart has good wool socks also. Irish Setter Elk Tracker or my old Browning felt packs.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I used to get cold feet no matter what sock or boot I wore because me feet sweat. Now, the ultimate cure for me was wools socks, stick-on toe warmers and 800gram Rocky boots followed by putting on my boot blankets. I can sit all day and toes stay toasty warm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER-BOOT-BLANKET-LARGE/233087201596?epid=1500917160&hash=item364514713c:rk:1[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]f:0#rwid
Best things ever invented!
I don’t want to highjack the thread but Stetam my feet sweat as well and are terrible when it comes to getting cold. I have the same boot blankets as you and my feet would still get cold doing it the way you do. Many years ago David Blanton was talking about his feet and cold weather hunting. He had the same boot blankets as we do and said he would take his boots off and slip a large handwarmer in each boot blanket and just wear socks inside them. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try. I did and I was sold. I can sit dark to dark in any temperature without my feet getting cold. Other body parts give out before my feet. It’s helped me tremendously during late season to spend more time on stand. Just thought I’d share in case anybody else needed something different to try.

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I've been wearing these for about a dozen years now and haven't had to replace any yet. They are 78% merino wool and keep my feet nice and warm sitting on stand all day or wearing them at work.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-casual-clothing/mens-socks/mens-hunting-socks/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105550380/i/103991580/cabelas-mens-ultimate-heavyweight-crew-wool-socks/721730.uts?slotId=1

I have the same socks and they are holding up great.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alpaca wool socks were the best for keeping my feet warm and dry, but they came apart after a season worth of use. Maybe worn just 12 times and I was wearing thin spots on the pressure points. They were 100% alpaca wool and a loose knit.

That could have just been the weaving process though, I don't know, but they were extremely comfortable to wear. Very soft.

I have many pairs of 60% or higher merino wool socks. My feet will get a little clammy in them now and again, but they dry very quickly and don't hold much odor. Merino is very comfortable to the touch and wears very well.

I have a pair of alpaca boot insoles that are really nice too. They go in my Muck boots to insulate the bottom.
The alpaca farm owner told me he sends his material out to California to add some elastic material to the socks I guess to keep the shape

He also sold the boot insoles but he told me they were more for comfort than for warmth

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:Clap_zpsb2b1fe37:I bought two pair of ALPACA heavy weight socks at the Oaks Gun Show last year, $35 for both pair. My life got two pair as well. WE LOVE THEM!!!! I have congestive heart failure which severely limits my circulation to the extremities, yet those Alpaca socks have kept my feet warm on the deer stand in pretty cold temperatures. If it is going to be below 30 degrees I use toe warmers.

·
Premium Member
23,684 Posts
I like merino wool for outer and a blend of Merino & poly for liner. Best combo ive found and even does the trick in brutal ice fishing conditions. 400-1,200 gram boots not much difference if you got the right sock combo imo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used to wear 2 pairs of white cotton socks to work everyday and would wear a hole in them in a matter of weeks. I switched to Darn Tough last spring and went to one pair and I am still trying to wear a hole in them. They are made of a merino blend I believe. I got a pair of their heaviest hunting sock for X-mas and I love them. They are kinda pricey , but the guarantee them for life. If you ever wear them out just send them back and they will replace them. I also noticed Cabelas/Bass Pro have started to carry them also. If I was looking for a merino type sock I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Got a few pairs of Merino socks at the outdoor show a few years ago, POWA auction. I've had other wool blend socks, these are by far the warmest.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try looking for merino wool socks that have 85% plus wool in them. I hate when these manufactures say they have wool socks and then you find out they are only 50% wool. When you get up to 85% plus is when wools socks truly work. I have a pair of alpaca socks and I really don't see a difference in warmth in how I have used them so far. The only difference I see is the alpaca socks do not keep their shape and fall down a lot. My favorite pair of wool socks are the big wooly's from woolrich.

·
Premium Member
23,684 Posts
I used to wear 2 pairs of white cotton socks to work everyday and would wear a hole in them in a matter of weeks. I switched to Darn Tough last spring and went to one pair and I am still trying to wear a hole in them. They are made of a merino blend I believe. I got a pair of their heaviest hunting sock for X-mas and I love them. They are kinda pricey , but the guarantee them for life. If you ever wear them out just send them back and they will replace them. I also noticed Cabelas/Bass Pro have started to carry them also. If I was looking for a merino type sock I would highly recommend them.
I see a lot carry Darn Tough in hiking socks. Couldn't seem to find heavier hunting weight??

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can get the hunter Darn Toughs from their website directly. They came fairly quick also. Less then a week. They offer two heights. One that's shorter and another that in almost knee high. I actually have a pair of each and use the shorter when it's warm out and the taller when it's cold.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts