The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1974 or 76. I can't remember at the moment. Mercury 4.5 hp motor. But it's SUPER clean. I've been running It for about three years now no problems at all. How ever the other day I was out and after moving around a bit stopping / starting. I shut it off for about 30 min. When I started it was almost sounded like it was missing. It ran for a min then shut off. Tryed it again same thing. Started it again and went wot. Soon as it got revved it ran like normal but as soon as I throttled down it started to Mis again. I cleaned the carb/ fuel pump. Checked the plug it's 3 yrs old but still looks great. Checked the grounds. I don't know if its the coil or how to even check it. Any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sounds like a clogged fuel line. Something may have broke loose in the line and clogged it up. Was the vent of gas can open? Did you remove the carb and do a really good cleaning (cleaning out jets with a wire and so on. If the carb has a float it may be bad. If it was the coil you wouldn't be starting it. Sounds like a fuel problem somewhere.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
How old is the gas, could be water in the gas tank or your spark plug wire may be shorting out or the coil could be breaking down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Took the flywheel off to check the coil/magneto. And one coil was fine but the other had a wire broke right at the coil. Not a easy part to find. So I figured I'd try to solder it back in. We'll see how that worked later. But for now back scrounging the web for a replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts