The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a few rug rats that he wants to take out this weekend (11th) for the mentored youth day and he wants my help.

Someone told him that the adult-youth ratio must be 1:1? Is that true?

·
20,120 Posts
No it's not. You can have several adults along for this year although the PAFBC encourages 1:1 if at all possible. I think they would be happy with a couple adults and a lot of kids. In other words. 1 adult working with 1,2,3 or 4 kids would make a WCO smile I am sure.

I'm possibly taking out 4 kids by myself. Of course I wouldn't be fishing at all. Just chasing 10 year olds all over the creek. Sounds like a blast............

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Is it one adult per child or can 2 adults be with one? Could both adults keep fish? I dont see it in the regulation book.

I dou t half the kids out will have a license. Very few of the people I talked to understood.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
Your friend does know that all of the kids must get either the free license or the $2.70 voluntary one to participate, right??
You can get either one online and print them out.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
You guys on here asking this stuff need to keep in mind that this day is intended for kids to be fishing, not adults.

If adults are trying to figure out IF they can fish, then they may be on the wrong track of thought. The intent of a mentor to fish was on a 1:1 basis, but the regulation was poorly written. If people choose to fish at a greater than 1:1 ratio, you should also keep in mind that the abuse of the ratio is up to the enforcement discretion of the individual WCO. And there are no clearly spelled out rules for them to follow, so their word is law in this case. So you would be taking your chances on the WCO's mood for the day of how they would handle it.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for not following it. If you are taking a MY out to fish, then get them either the mentored youth or the voluntary license. The PFBC gets additional P-R funding based upon how many of those get issued, so even if it is a free license, there is money involved for the fish commish.

Bottom line: obey the law, keep the kids in mind first on this day and make sure they have fun. The adult fishing on this day is so far in the rear view mirror that it doesn't even warrant consideration for those who are out there for the right reason - THE KIDS.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I took my 2 grandkids to the local outdoor shop today for the MY license,they are proud as peacocks to have their own ... and they cant wait til Saturday...

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Was going to take my daughter out tomorrow but all of the local lakes are still frozen
. Creeks are roaring after the rain/snow melt recently. Not sure what I'm going to do yet tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts